East Marion Elementary School Infectious Disease Outbreak Diagnosed As Norovirus
Stephanie Denardo / WUFT News
More than 200 students were out sick on Friday at East Marion Elementary School. The cause of the sickness was found to be norovirus, also known as food poisoning.
The cause of the infectious disease outbreak on Friday at East Marion Elementary School has been diagnosed as norovirus. Norovirus, also known as food poisoning, is a highly contagious illness that can be caused by consuming contaminated food or water or by touching contaminated surfaces.
The virus caused more than 200 students and faculty members at the elementary school to be sick with symptoms of vomiting, stomach cramps and diarrhea.
“In order to diagnose norovirus, we need to have test results from a lab. The illness outbreak has been ongoing at East Marion Elementary for a few days, but we finally were able to get someone to submit a test,” said Craig Ackerman, spokesman for Florida Department of Health in Marion County. “So we can confirm that it is indeed norovirus.”
“The most important thing is to stop the spread of the outbreak. … We’re going to need a community effort. We need to work together to keep kids and staff home until long after the symptoms have stopped,” he said.
Although symptoms may stop after one to two days without treatment, Ackerman said those infected should stay home for at least 24 hours after symptoms have stopped.
Staying hydrated and temporarily isolating those who are sick are keys to the school-wide recovery.
“Tell parents that health officials are saying just keep (students) home,” he said. “It’s not worth giving it to somebody else and reinfecting the school.” Ackerman said.
More Stories in Health and Science
A new study has found that muscadine grape seed oil can help reduce obesity. Containing a vitamin E derivative, the oil can help prevent the formation of new fat cells.
The Columbia County Water Conservation project encourages commercial buildings to decrease water usage by upgrading to high efficiency plumbing models. This project will reduce the amount of water used per flush in a toilet, which can save about 90,000 gallons each day and 32.8 gallons per year.
Marion County Utilities issued a precautionary boil water warning Tuesday after water pressure levels dropped below the average rate. That notice has since been lifted following the completion of a biological survey showing the water was safe to drink again.
A growing number of college students deal with anxiety that impacts their daily life. School and social stressors cause many to struggle, but counseling, mindfulness and cognitive behavioral therapy can help.
A University of Florida student combines faith and spirituality with the ancient art of henna to comfort cancer patients. Jeena Kar uses henna paste made from the flowering plant, Lawsonia inermis, to create intricate designs on the heads of those who have lost their hair due to chemotherapy.