The Point, May 31, 2023: Ocala Police hold town hall for deaf community
Subscribe to The Point, arriving in your inbox Monday through Friday at 8 a.m.
The stories near you
• Florida Storms: Potential tropical disturbance will bring heavy rain and flash flood threat to Florida. "A system in the Gulf of Mexico will bring periods of heavy rain and gusty winds to much of Florida in time for the official start of the Atlantic hurricane season."
• The Alligator: GPD internal affairs report shows officers’ misconduct toward adult performers. "After months of complaints and investigation, several Gainesville Police Department officers were found inappropriately searching gentlemans’ club performers, including grabbing their underwear while on their body."
• Mainstreet Daily News: GNV readies for final vote on exclusionary zoning. "The Gainesville City Commission will take its final vote on Thursday to repeal a trio of ordinances from October 2022 that eliminated its single-family zoning categories."
• Mainstreet Daily News: DeSantis signs Perry's music education bill. "Florida will incentivize music classes in schools after Gov. Ron DeSantis signed into law SB 478, a bill sponsored by local Sen. Keith Perry, R-Gainesville."
• WFTS-Tampa Bay: Citrus County community hosts prayer vigil for deputy who was seriously injured in a crash. "Florida Highway Patrol said Deputy Andy Lahera was directing traffic with other deputies following graduation at Lecanto High School last week. Troopers said a 19-year-old driver hit the deputy and seriously injured him."
• WCJB: Ocala Police Department holds first-ever town hall to improve communication with deaf community. "After hours of conversation, Ocala Police addressed improvements for communication amongst officers and the deaf and hard-of-hearing community."
Today's sponsored message
Around the state
• Florida Politics: Watchdog group says Ron DeSantis is already running afoul of campaign finance law. "The Campaign Legal Center alleges $80 million was illegally transferred from Friends of Ron DeSantis, a state political committee, to Never Back Down, a super PAC providing outside support for DeSantis’ presidential ambitions."
• Associated Press: Broward deputy faces trial for alleged failure to confront Parkland school shooter. "In a prosecution believed to be a national first, a former Florida sheriff's deputy is about to be tried on charges he failed to confront the gunman who murdered 14 students and three staff members at a Parkland high school five years ago."
• Florida Politics: Audit reveals safety, security issues in Miami-Dade school district. "A May 2023 report from Florida Auditor General Sherill Norman’s office lists nine issues that needed addressing, from school safety and security problems to bookkeeping issues and vendor procurement concerns."
• WUSF-Tampa: Here are the disaster items you can buy during Florida’s tax-free hurricane holiday. "Among the items that qualify for the Disaster Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday are such things as common household items and pet supplies."
• WMFE-Orlando: Private space station astronaut John Shoffner speaks with WMFE from orbit. "Halfway through his planned 10-day mission to the International Space Station, Ax-2 mission pilot John Shoffner spoke with WMFE's Brendan Byrne from the International Space Station."
• News Service of Florida: Surprising? Florida has second highest percentage population in U.S. of those aged 65 to 84. "The U.S. Census Bureau last week released data that showed 14.9 percent of the national population was ages 65 to 84 in 2020."
From NPR News
• National: Joy Ryan, 93, is the oldest woman to visit every U.S. national park
Kristin Moorehead curated today's edition of The Point.