Autopsy results of a University of Florida student who died during spring break have been released, and they reveal alcohol poisoning was the cause of death. Molly Ammon was found dead after a night of drinking. Department of Health Education Associate Professor Virgina Dodd says with many students at home for the summer vacation, parents may play some role in curbing drinking. She says while many students may be worried about trouble for calling for help when a friend is intoxicated, the consequences of doing nothing may be worse, and sometimes, there may not even be consequences for a person calling for help. She says most importantly, students should drink in moderation and have friends who will say when too much drinking has occurred. Dodd says says UF will continue efforts to encourage responsibility in drinking.[audio:http://www.wuft.org/media/audio/Dodd4.mp3]
Construction of the two new UF Health Shands hospitals is ahead of schedule. The twin hospitals will bring more specialization in heart and cardiovascular diseases and neuromedicine units.