WUFT News

Christian Aguilar Murder Case Delayed for Fourth Time

By on June 11th, 2013


Above: Raw video from Bravo’s appearance Tuesday (courtesy of Chris Gilmore/WCJB TV-20 pool).

Pedro Bravo, charged with the first-degree murder of Christian Aguilar, appeared at the Alachua County Courthouse on Tuesday in a red jumpsuit.

He stood silently beside his lawyer, Michael Ruppert. Three minutes later, he was on his way back to the county jail, and Aguilar’s family continued to wait.

“We’re pressuring. We are ready. We’re telling the community that we’re ready to start the trial,” said Carlos Aguilar, Christian Aguilar’s father, after Bravo’s case management court appearance.

Judge Peter K. Sieg moved a full case management hearing, during which the prosecution and defense could agree to begin a trial, until Aug. 27.

Pedro Bravo's path through the justice system has already been drawn out.

Alachua County Clerk of the Court

Pedro Bravo's path through the justice system has already been drawn out.

The same occurred in January and again in April. This time, the reasoning was the need to gather approximately 110 depositions from law enforcement and others involved in the search for Aguilar’s body.

No depositions have yet been gathered.

Carlos Aguilar isn’t confident about anything happening in August, either.

“I doubt it. I doubt it. I don’t think it’s enough time to do all 120 depositions,” he said.

Ruppert declined comment as he walked out of the courtroom Tuesday. He asked Sieg for the two extra months during Bravo’s appearance.

Sieg granted the request over an objection from assistant state attorney Brian Kramer.

“We are at approximately 10 months now, and no depositions have been taken to this point,” Kramer said. “I don’t know how many years we’re supposed to wait for these things to occur before we simply say we’re ready for trial.”

Ruppert pushed back, noting he was Bravo’s third attorney during those 10 months.

“Certainly I have not had the case for that whole time period. I’ve had it for a short duration,” Ruppert said.

Many Aguilar family members again made the trip from Miami where they live. Each time Carlos Aguilar gets off the I-75 exit in Gainesville, he has to pass Best Buy, the store where his son was last seen alive on surveillance video.

The trip does not get easier, he said.


This entry was posted in Crime and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
 

More Stories in Crime

Gov. Rick Scott addressing media in Bell, Fla.

Bell Residents Express Sadness, Shock in Wake of Shooting

Bell residents wake up to tragedy in wake of shooting. Don Spirit, 51, killed his daughter, six grandchildren and himself on Thursday around 4 p.m.


Don Charles Spirit, 51, shot and killed his daughter and her six children. He then committed suicide.

Bell Shooter Don Spirit: An Extensive Criminal History

Before Don Spirit shot and killed his daughter, six children and himself on Sept. 18, he acquired an extensive criminal background. Spirit’s prior crimes occurred in several counties in Florida.


Gov. Rick Scott spoke in response to the Bell shootings on Friday. He said his prayers are with the family members and the community.

Gov. Scott Speaks in Response to Bell Shooting

Gov. Rick Scott spoke today in response to the Bell shootings. Don Spirit shot his daughter and her six children in the town of Bell on Thursday.


Gov. Scott to Visit Bell This Afternoon

Gov. Rick Scott will visit Bell, Fla. Today in the wake of a shooting that left six children and two adults dead on Thursday Sept. 18.


Man Arrested In Connection To Marion County Drive-By Shootings

One man has been arrested in connection with the string of drive-by shootings that occurred last week in Marion County.


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Day Sponsorship Payments
Underwriting Payments