Subscribe to The Point, arriving in your inbox Monday through Friday at 8 a.m.
Today’s top stories
• Gov. Ron DeSantis said yesterday that Airbnb faces sanctions due to discriminatory policies that violate state law. (Tampa Bay Times)
• Gainesville residents are showing an interest in cleaner uses of energy. An open discussion held at the Civic Media Center gave more insight on ways to incorporate renewable energy. (The Alligator)
• Alachua County leaders are deciding whether or not to spend less funding on local homeless shelter and focus more on homeless-related care. (Gainesville Sun)
• Full-time students in Florida could be able to stay exempt from jury duty if new legislation passes. (Pensacola News Journal)
• As the government reaches its fourth week of the shutdown, the Coast Guard is the first branch of the military to go without pay. (Miami Herald)
• Thousands of federal workers remain unable to apply for SNAP benefits because there is no staff available to process applications. (Tampa Bay Times)
• The Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) is closed due to the shutdown, which stops the release of seasonal brews and stops the opening of new locations. (WMFE)
• Orlando International Airport Management Council is having a donation drive to help employees in need. (Orlando Weekly)
• Businesses continue to welcome service animals but are beginning to question emotional support animals inside certain establishments. (Florida Today)
• Recent reports show that Florida schools are having trouble finding certified teachers in areas including science and math. This shows a critical shortage of teachers in important subjects. (WLRN)
Today’s sponsored message
Crime Prevention Security Systems has more than 40 years of experience in providing peace of mind for businesses and families in North Central Florida. With its free app, local monitoring and state of the art security equipment, Crime Prevention is the local leader in security systems and home technology. Upgrade your existing system now for remote access to your security, lights, locks and thermostats – from your smartphone or tablet. Call 352-376-1499 or visit www.cpss.net.
News from NPR
• Science: Cotton Seed Sprouts In China’s Lunar Lander