Subscribe to The Point to invite us into your inbox with the most important Florida news from Monday through Friday at 8 a.m.
The top stories near you
• Breastfeeding rates in Florida have nearly doubled in the last decade, according to CDC data. Breastfeeding support groups like the La Leche League continue to encourage women to continue breastfeeding, and their presence has again grown in Gainesville in the last two years. (WUFT News)
• Gainesville Sun ($): Drivers warned of smoke hazard from prescribed burn in south Levy
• WCJB: ACSO reveals new billboard for The Lila Leach Case
• Gainesville Sun ($): Free after-school meals expand to Hawthorne
• The Alligator: La Casita hosts class on Latinx studies – the first class the institute has ever held
• Ocala Star-Banner ($): Public input sought in search for school superintendent
Today’s sponsored message
Crime Prevention Security Systems has more than 40 years of experience in providing peace of mind for businesses and families in North Central Florida. With its free app, local monitoring and state of the art security equipment, Crime Prevention is the local leader in security systems and home technology. Upgrade your existing system now for remote access to your security, lights, locks and thermostats – from your smartphone or tablet. Call 352-376-1499 or visit www.cpss.net.
Around the state today
• Florida Phoenix: Saving Florida panthers: Environmental groups file lawsuit to protect the endangered cats from expanded roadways
• Florida Storms: Destructive Squall Line Threatens Florida Panhandle Saturday
• News Service of Florida: State Could Take Hit In Hospital Funding
• Sun Sentinel ($): Florida Supreme Court denies electric company ‘choice’ ballot measure that would open market
• WLRN: Florida’s high school graduation rate continues steady climb, nearing 87% in 2019
• Fort Myers News-Press ($): ‘Wild West:’ Florida legislators’ PACs amass hundreds of millions of dollars
• New York Times: Florida Teacher Is Charged With Battery After Throwing Student Out of Class
• Florida Politics: Kionne McGhee pushes 3-year plan to raise pay for veteran teachers, support staff
• Tallahassee Democrat ($): Florida’s job growth outpaces national average again, economic outlook shows
• Sun Sentinel ($): South Florida sees swell of new residents moving from high-tax states
• WTSP: FDOT to install suicide prevention barrier on Sunshine Skyway Bridge
• Palm Beach Post ($): Where to see the full wolf moon eclipse
• St. Augustine Record ($): 20-year-old tiger dies at St. Augustine Wild Reserve
From NPR News
• World: Contrasting Claims On What Brought Down Ukrainian Jetliner In Iran
• World: Would Controlled Burns Help Australia Manage Massive Wildfire?
• National: Appeals Court Allows Trump To Divert $3.6 Billion In Military Funds For Border Wall
• Politics: House Passes War Powers Resolution In Effort To Restrict Trump’s Actions Against Iran
• Business: Tell Me A Story: What Narratives Reveal About The Mind
• Health: What Will It Take To Finally End Congo’s Ebola Outbreak In 2020?
• Art & Design: The Emoji Designer Who’s Bringing African Culture To Smartphone Keyboards