WUFT News

Victim shoots person of interest in attempted robbery

By and on March 12th, 2013

An 81-year-old Ocala man said he didn’t want to fire his gun but had to when a younger man trailed his truck.

James Stevens told Marion County Sheriff’s Office he was driving in Ocala when 28-year-old Lonnie Hollingsworth Jr. followed him for about 20 minutes. Stevens then pulled over into a vacant lot across from his home.

Hollingsworth “came up to him and said, ‘Give me everything you’ve got,’” said James Pogue, Marion County Sheriff’s Office spokesman.

Stevens then took out his .38-caliber revolver and shot Hollingsworth one time in the abdomen.

Michelle Barron, of Ocala, was pulling into her brother’s driveway next door when Stevens came running toward her.

Barron said Stevens asked her to call 911 “because he had just shot a fellow who tried to rob him.”

“He looked very shaken up to me,” she said. “He was holding his head down and his voice was trembling.”

When deputies got to the scene, they performed CPR until medical personnel arrived, Pogue said. Hollingsworth was taken to Ocala Regional Medical Center and was said to be in critical condition as of 10 a.m. Tuesday.

The case is still under investigation. No charges have been filed against Stevens or Hollingsworth at this time, Pogue said.

According to the Marion County Sheriff’s Office report, the incident was reported as an attempted strong arm robbery. Pogue could not say whether the state’s “stand your ground” defense applies to Stevens.

“The detectives in the case will take that into consideration as they work with the state’s attorney office,” Pogue said.

Carolyn Brewster reported for WUFT-TV.

 

 


This entry was posted in Crime and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
 

More Stories in Crime

Marion County Teenager Arrested After Shooting Two Men

A Marion County teenager was arrested Thursday in connection with last week’s shooting of two 18-year-old men.


harris_preview

Accusation Dropped in Treon Harris Battery Case; Harris Reinstated

The woman who has accused Florida freshman quarterback Treon Harris of sexual battery has withdrawn her charge. Harris has been allowed to return to all University and University Athletic Association activities, according to statements from the University of Florida and [...]


Treon Harris’s Attorney Releases Statement Regarding Sexual Battery Accusations

UPDATE, 4:10 p.m.: Johnson & Osteryoung, P.A. released a statement Thursday in response to an 18-page redacted statement released by the University of Florida the day before. Treon Harris’ attorney Huntley Johnson said he found the University’s statement was leading to [...]


UF Releases Preliminary Report on the Harris Battery Accusation

The University of Florida released an 18-page redacted incident report this afternoon on the accusations of sexual battery reported earlier this week by Florida freshman quarterback Treon Harris.


UFPD responds to a fight outside Ben HIll Griffin Stadium involving two Florida Gator football players on Monday, October 6, 2014 in Gainesville, Fla.

Two Gator Football Players Involved In Fight

University of Florida Police responded to a fight involving two Gator football players outside the Heavener Football Complex on the UF campus. Both players withdrew charges against each other.


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Day Sponsorship Payments
Underwriting Payments