WUFT News

Search Reignites For Body of Woman Missing for 20 Years

By on January 17th, 2014

The Citrus County Sheriff’s office began searching Monday for a body that has been missing for 20 years. However, as of Friday evening, the search had proved unfruitful.

Citrus County media relations manager Heather Yates said the search is for the body of Margot Register, who went missing in January of 1994. The search was sparked after the sheriff’s office received a tip about the body’s location.

Yates said the tip, which was received some months ago, was from a source who claimed to have seen Register’s body. Yates attributes the delay between notification and the start of the search to a permitting and paperwork process.

She said the search has been demanding, with officers combing through a flooded and heavily wooded area tangled in tree roots.

“It has just been a very lengthy and delicate process,” she said.

Margo’s husband at the time Willis Register was suspected for her disappearance, and is currently serving life in prison for an unrelated murder.
“Our biggest priority is to find Margot and to bring closure to her family, because they’ve never had that,” Yates said.

Sean Stewart-Muniz edited this story online.


This entry was posted in Crime and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
 

More Stories in Crime

Ocala Double Homicide Suspect Dies in Local Hospital

The suspect in a double homicide has died last night, Tuesday. Ricardo De Jesus Barrera was suspected to have shot and killed Bonnie and Julia Motto.


Marion County Teenager Arrested After Shooting Two Men

A Marion County teenager was arrested Thursday in connection with last week’s shooting of two 18-year-old men.


harris_preview

Accusation Dropped in Treon Harris Battery Case; Harris Reinstated

The woman who has accused Florida freshman quarterback Treon Harris of sexual battery has withdrawn her charge. Harris has been allowed to return to all University and University Athletic Association activities, according to statements from the University of Florida and [...]


Treon Harris’s Attorney Releases Statement Regarding Sexual Battery Accusations

UPDATE, 4:10 p.m.: Johnson & Osteryoung, P.A. released a statement Thursday in response to an 18-page redacted statement released by the University of Florida the day before. Treon Harris’ attorney Huntley Johnson said he found the University’s statement was leading to [...]


UF Releases Preliminary Report on the Harris Battery Accusation

The University of Florida released an 18-page redacted incident report this afternoon on the accusations of sexual battery reported earlier this week by Florida freshman quarterback Treon Harris.


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Day Sponsorship Payments
Underwriting Payments