College Board is recognizing 53 high school students in the Alachua County Public School District as national scholars for their exceptional academic achievement.
The students selected for this award have performed at an outstanding level through top scores on national exams, Advanced Placement exams and excellent school assignments. Exams such as PSAT/NMSQT or PSAT 10 allow students with a certain score to qualify for the honor.
College Board rewards students from underrepresented groups through its African American, Hispanic, Indigenous and Rural/Small Town Recognition programs.
This distinction identifies academic excellence from underrepresented students for colleges and universities.
“It’s exciting to have so many of these outstanding scholars from our district. They have achieved something very impressive, and we’re proud to have them representing our schools and community,” said Alachua County Superintendent Shane Andrew, who added district leaders appreciate their hard work and academic success.
The students attend Buchholz, Eastside, Gainesville, Newberry and Sante Fe high schools:
- Buchholz High School
- National African American Recognition Award: Arabella Ahmad, Edward Churuba, Kelisha Andre, Nia Jobson, Zachariah Taylor
- National Hispanic Recognition Award: Alden Vega, Amelia Rufino, Eduardo Fuzy, Eric Kallas, Lex Ettinger, Madeline Wong, Naomi De Oliveira, Paola Monge, Samuel Chapman, Serengeti Alvarez, Xavier Ayala-Vermont.
- Eastside High School
- National African American Recognition Award: Abigail Dagins, Awab El Ghissassi, Brooklyn Thomas, Chris Okorochukwu, Jibril Bachu, John Oduntan, Laila Jones, Rowa Nawari, Samantha Jones
- National Hispanic Recognition Award: Augustus Paluzzi, Catianna Andino, Elena Frenock, Matthew Martin, Nicholas Reyes, Thomas Pereira
- National Indigenous Award: Daniel Zou.
- Gainesville High School
- National African American Recognition Award: Amanda Baez, Joshua Morison, Rianna Griffith, Shanaya Brown
- National Hispanic Recognition Award: Alessandra Deleon, Alexander Hudleston, Amanda Baez, Antonio Baez, Camila Galvao, Carli Sarmiento, Diego Bruna, Francisca Riveros, Maximiliano Probert, Miranda Bustamante, Niccolo Corvetto, Patrick Nowels
- Newberry High School
- National Rural and Small Town Award: Emma Meade
- Sante Fe High School
- National Rural and Small Town Award: Nathan Anderson, Nick Athern, Evan Cornell, Kayla Hill, Tyler Sutton