Satchel’s Pizza Building Catches Fire; Salvage Shop Not Salvageable, Fire Department Says

By

A little after 9 p.m. Monday night, Gainesville Fire Rescue arrived at Satchel’s Pizza in Gainesville.

The building was on fire. Callers had reported seeing flames from as far away as Waldo Road. The fire was contained in the rear part of the building in a gift shop known as Lightnin’ Salvage, and firefighters kept the flames from spreading into the front restaurant. No one was injured.

The fire was under control within 10 minutes, but GFR said Lightnin’ Salvage is a total loss.

Fire rescue is still investigating what started the blaze.

Satchel’s Pizza also caught fire and was nearly destroyed in early 2012, but it reopened later that year with the help of a fundraiser.

Satchel Raye, the owner, began tweeting thoughts and images around 10 p.m. and continued into the early morning.

Here are more WUFT News tweets from the scene.

About Ethan Magoc

Ethan is a journalist at WUFT News. He's a Pennsylvania native who found a home reporting Florida's stories. Reach him by emailing emagoc@wuft.org or calling 352-294-1525.

Check Also

‘I Began To Call And Demand Answers’: A Jail Inmate’s Mother Searches For Justice In Two Cases

Jennifer Mccray Littles spends the days awaiting progress in the criminal trial against former detention officer Jerome Ulrich for charges of battery and tampering with a victim — her son, Joseph Combs.