In Alachua County, six proposals have been submitted for the design, construction and renovation to an existing building that will house the Supervisor of Elections and possibly other departments within the county.
“Basically, right now we have a space problem within the county, and the supervisor of elections is needing additional space,” said Alachua County Purchasing Manager Larry Sapp.
The supervisor of elections office is currently located at 111 SE First Ave. The properties under consideration, along with the real estate companies representing them, are:
- Airport industrial park area; Coldwell Banker Commercial
- NW 13th Street; 5440 Group
- NW 13th Street and NW 23rd Avenue; Ken Properties
- N Main and NW 23rd Avenue; Bosshardt Realty Services
- NW Sixth Street; Synergy Design-Build
- NW 13th Street and NW 23rd Avenue; Saul Silber Properties
A long-term lease will be negotiated once city officials determine which space will be large enough to fit both the supervisor’s operations and other departments in the county.
“It’ll be a while,” Sapp said of the renovation’s time frame. “I do know that we are hoping to be moving at least the supervisor of elections by the end of this calendar year.”
Michelle Plitnikas wrote this story online.