Home / North Florida / Gainesville man jumps through window after eating psilocybin mushrooms

Gainesville man jumps through window after eating psilocybin mushrooms


A 20-year-old Gainesville man who jumped through a window after eating psilocybin mushrooms was found naked and bleeding early Saturday morning near the Chipotle on University Avenue.

After ingesting the hallucinogenic mushrooms, Nicholas Koster stripped down naked, jumped through a first floor window and then ran from his friends’ apartment at 111 NW 15th Terrace after they called 911, said Gainesville Police Department spokesman Officer Ben Tobias in an email.

Police officers found Koster on the west side of Chipotle at about 4 a.m., Tobias said. Koster’s back was cut from the broken window. Police did not arrest him.

People who take psilocybin mushrooms often experience psychological effects, said Alfred Aleguas, managing director for the Florida Poison Information Center, but physical injury can occur. He said people who purchase the drugs illicitly do not know how strong the drugs can be.

“You really don’t know what you’re buying,” he said.

Alexa Volland wrote this story online.

Check Also

Matt Surrency, mayor of Hawthorne, speaks at a Florida League of Cities annual conference August 13. He is the president of the Florida League of Cities and was elected to the National League of Cities board of directors earlier this year.

Mayor Offers Vision For Economic Development Of Hawthorne

On Nov. 17, the Hawthorne City Commission voted to add 1,200 acres of land, owned by Plumb Creek Timber to the city. The mayor, Matt Surrency, thinks that the added land will benefit Hawthorne, and plans to work with Alachua County to solidify plans and move forward.

  • Christian Toth

    What an odd reaction to eating mushrooms. I’m honestly baffled that something like this could happen, and the story is a bit strange. There are different strains of mushrooms with varying potencies, but the comment “you really don’t know what you’re buying” is a bit off-color because you should be able to identify mushrooms, unless that wasn’t what was meant. Of course, there is no licit market for mushrooms, so incidents like these are predictable. I would like to add that mushrooms are not dangerous in any way, but for the uninitiated, you can lose your shit if you don’t know what you have coming. It’s not a typical recreational drug experience, and it’s not something to take lightly.

  • http://twitter.com/M0X1 Mo Xie

    Agreed Toth. Also, he probably felt his chances were better with the jump out of a window, than with the criminal “justice” system.