WUFT News

Clay County Warns Residents About Jury Duty Phone Scam

By on February 21st, 2014

The Clay County Sheriff’s Office administered a warning to Central Florida residents Friday regarding a potential phone scam about jury duty.

The scam involves residents receiving phone calls saying they have missed jury duty and are being fined large sums of money.

Though there were no reported cases in Clay County, Mary Justino, CCSO public information officer, said there were cases in Orange County.

Most court related communications are not handled by telephone calls, but instead they are addressed by official mail, according to the Clay County Clerk of Court’s Office. Individuals should not be alarmed if they receive a call.

Justino said if a citizen is contacted by the scammers, he or she should write down as much information as possible.

“We’re looking for a phone number and the name of the caller, even if it is a fake name, everything helps,” she said. “Hang up and immediately call local law enforcement.”

Justino said phone scams happen frequently, and that they typically target the elderly.

In a past scam, after speaking with the scammer a potential victim hung up. Justino said the scammer then called back and left a voice mail.

“Using the voice identified on the voice mail, we were able to catch the scammer,” she said. “All types of information can be helpful.”

 


This entry was posted in Crime and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
 

More Stories in Crime

Ocala Double Homicide Suspect Dies in Local Hospital

The suspect in a double homicide has died last night, Tuesday. Ricardo De Jesus Barrera was suspected to have shot and killed Bonnie and Julia Motto.


Marion County Teenager Arrested After Shooting Two Men

A Marion County teenager was arrested Thursday in connection with last week’s shooting of two 18-year-old men.


harris_preview

Accusation Dropped in Treon Harris Battery Case; Harris Reinstated

The woman who has accused Florida freshman quarterback Treon Harris of sexual battery has withdrawn her charge. Harris has been allowed to return to all University and University Athletic Association activities, according to statements from the University of Florida and […]


Treon Harris’s Attorney Releases Statement Regarding Sexual Battery Accusations

UPDATE, 4:10 p.m.: Johnson & Osteryoung, P.A. released a statement Thursday in response to an 18-page redacted statement released by the University of Florida the day before. Treon Harris’ attorney Huntley Johnson said he found the University’s statement was leading to […]


UF Releases Preliminary Report on the Harris Battery Accusation

The University of Florida released an 18-page redacted incident report this afternoon on the accusations of sexual battery reported earlier this week by Florida freshman quarterback Treon Harris.


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Day Sponsorship Payments
Underwriting Payments