- Wednesday morning’s storm left the roof ripped off a shed and 10-inch tree limbs snapped. One wind gust was reported at 91 mph.
- Chuck Hagel reported to his first day of work as secretary of defense after being sworn in Tuesday. Hagel was confirmed in a 58-41 vote, making it the closest in the history for defense secretary.
- Many immigration detention centers in Arizona released about 300 people in preparation for governmental spending cuts. The National Immigration Forum has found it takes $164 a day to keep an undocumented immigrant in jail.
- The Supreme Court will consider striking down the discrimination clause in the 1964 voting rights law after debated that it is outdated.
- A New Mexico man hid millions of dollars worth of gold and jewels in a treasure chest after learning he had terminal cancer three years ago. Although he is now cancer free, the chest is still unfound and available.
Construction debris in Miami kills one and injures five. That and more in 90 seconds.