The autopsy findings for a 14-year-old boy who died after collapsing during a preseason football camp at Camp Blanding this summer have been released.
An accidental heat stroke was found to be the probable cause of death, according to the autopsy released by the Alachua County Medical Examiner’s Office on Nov. 3.
William Shogran Jr., a home-schooled athlete on the Sebastian River High School football team, was pronounced dead at Shands Hospital in Starke on Aug. 14, about three to four weeks after he began practicing with the team.
Shogran was participating in a week-long football camp at Camp Blanding, a military training center located near Starke. He had been home-schooled for several years before he ultimately decided to join the team for PE credit, according to the Alachua County Sherriff’s Office report.
The temperature was about 79 degrees at the time of the incident, which occurred on the second day of training.
Shogran started his day at 5:30 a.m. with a 30-minute conditioning session meant for players who were unable to attend the previous summer workout sessions, according to the report.
His teammates told officials that Shogran had thrown up “four to six times” between the initial workout and breakfast, which was served at 7 a.m. After breakfast, Shogran was seen throwing up on his bunkmate’s bedding, according to the report.
Upon seeing this, head coach David Pettis asked the Shogran if he was OK. Shogran reported feeling fine and attributed the vomiting to drinking “too much water too fast.”
A second practice began at 9 a.m., which included 20- to 30-minute intervals with 10-minute breaks in between.
Based on Florida rule, 5-minute water breaks are to be set between every 30-minute workout. However, due to the extreme heat during the week of the camp, Coach Pettis decided to give 10-minute breaks after every 20 minutes of exercise, according to the report.
Shogran was seen by various teammates walking on the sidelines toward the water during practice, according to the report. When approached by Coach Pettis, Shogran said he was feeling dizzy. Pettis then removed the player’s football pads and began cooling him down with water and ice as he collapsed to the floor.
Pettis dialed 9-1-1 at around 10:50 a.m. Shogran was unresponsive when rescuers arrived on scene.
His teammates reported seeing him lying on the floor being assisted by the coaches. Some said they saw his face turn pale, his lips purple and his body shake before they were sent away to the barracks.
Shogran had experienced a minor vomiting episode and had not been feeling well leading up to the camp, his father, Florida Highway Patrol William Shogran, and step mother, Alycia told Clay County police officials.
He left for the camp with his teammates on Aug. 12. No other signs of illness were observed by family members before his departure, aside from a back injury that occurred in late July, according to the report.
Shogran was also known for suffering from allergies.
Teammate Garrett Stamloaugh told officials that Shogran never approached coaches about feeling unwell. He mentioned it to a few players, but went ahead with the scheduled practice anyway.