WUFT News

Carbon monoxide sickens five in Ocala

By on November 2nd, 2012

Audio story by Ben Boorstein – WUFT-FM

Ocala Fire Rescue

Fire crews prepare to clear the scene

Five people were rescued from an Ocala home after breathing carbon monoxide gas Thursday.

Ocala Fire Rescue was notified early Thursday morning that five people in a house at 1008 NE 17th Ave. were sick. They found high levels of carbon monoxide and entered wearing special air tanks.

The house had no power, but a gas generator found in the kitchen was the source of the carbon monoxide, authorities said. Firefighters opened windows to ventilate the gas.

The five victims were taken to a hospital. Their conditions were unknown Friday morning.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas. It can be produced from many household appliances like malfunctioning gas water heaters and stoves.  Gas-run generators, wood-burning fireplaces and motor vehicles also produce the deadly gas.

Firefighters recommend never operating a generator inside a house. Early signs of poisoning include headache, sleepiness, nausea and dizziness.  Those who feel these symptoms are urged to go outside and call 911.

Kelly Price edited this story online.


This entry was posted in Crime and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
 

More Stories in Crime

Demarion Roddrick Hampton, 5-weeks-old.

Missing 5-Week-Old Palatka Infant Found

The Palatka Police Department is currently investigating the disappearance of a 5-week-old infant, Demarion Roddrick Hampton of Palatka.


Ocala Double Homicide Suspect Dies in Local Hospital

The suspect in a double homicide has died last night, Tuesday. Ricardo De Jesus Barrera was suspected to have shot and killed Bonnie and Julia Motto.


Marion County Teenager Arrested After Shooting Two Men

A Marion County teenager was arrested Thursday in connection with last week’s shooting of two 18-year-old men.


harris_preview

Accusation Dropped in Treon Harris Battery Case; Harris Reinstated

The woman who has accused Florida freshman quarterback Treon Harris of sexual battery has withdrawn her charge. Harris has been allowed to return to all University and University Athletic Association activities, according to statements from the University of Florida and […]


Treon Harris’s Attorney Releases Statement Regarding Sexual Battery Accusations

UPDATE, 4:10 p.m.: Johnson & Osteryoung, P.A. released a statement Thursday in response to an 18-page redacted statement released by the University of Florida the day before. Treon Harris’ attorney Huntley Johnson said he found the University’s statement was leading to […]


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Day Sponsorship Payments
Underwriting Payments