Carbon monoxide sickens five in Ocala
Audio story by Ben Boorstein – WUFT-FM
Ocala Fire Rescue
Fire crews prepare to clear the scene
Five people were rescued from an Ocala home after breathing carbon monoxide gas Thursday.
Ocala Fire Rescue was notified early Thursday morning that five people in a house at 1008 NE 17th Ave. were sick. They found high levels of carbon monoxide and entered wearing special air tanks.
The house had no power, but a gas generator found in the kitchen was the source of the carbon monoxide, authorities said. Firefighters opened windows to ventilate the gas.
The five victims were taken to a hospital. Their conditions were unknown Friday morning.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas. It can be produced from many household appliances like malfunctioning gas water heaters and stoves. Gas-run generators, wood-burning fireplaces and motor vehicles also produce the deadly gas.
Firefighters recommend never operating a generator inside a house. Early signs of poisoning include headache, sleepiness, nausea and dizziness. Those who feel these symptoms are urged to go outside and call 911.
Kelly Price edited this story online.
More Stories in Crime
The Gainesville Police Department teamed up with the River Phoenix Center for Peacebuilding to discuss the relationships between police officers and youths. The Police-Youth Dialogue Program gives police officers and youths an safe outlet to share experiences and misunderstandings.
While the Live Oak Police Department is getting body cameras for its officers to wear, other agencies in the area aren’t as receptive. Privacy and cost are issues they want to look at.
Charges against an 11-year-old girl for the shooting death have been dropped by State Attorney Jeff Siegmeister. Her 15-year-old sister, who police say shot and killed their 16-year-old brother, could still be charged. The girls’ parents are also being investigated.
Letroy Shelton Guion, Jr., who has played for the Green Bay Packers and Minnesota Vikings in the NFL, was arrested in his hometown of Starke, according to a media release from Starke Police Department.
Local Craigslist antique seller arranges trade meeting in Gilchrist County Sheriff’s Office to ensure safety for both buyer and seller. Ron Mills and the sheriff’s office hope to see more counties adopt the practice in preventing online crime.