Subscribe to The Point, arriving in your inbox Monday through Friday at 8 a.m.
Today’s top Florida stories
• Fresh Take Florida: Family Of UF Graduate Student Who Died By Suicide Files Legal Claim Against University. “The statement of claim filed by the family of Huixiang Chen with the Florida Department of Financial Services is a legal maneuver that is a precursor to a civil lawsuit against a state government agency. Chen, 30, hanged himself in a university lab in June 2019 and left behind notes accusing his tenured professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Tao Li, 49, of abusive behavior and academic misconduct.”
• WUSF: Flash Flooding Possible In Florida Panhandle As Tropical Storm Fred Nears Landfall. “Tropical Storm Fred is zeroing in on the Florida Panhandle with an expected landfall later Monday. Portions of the Panhandle are under a storm surge warning, from Indian Pass to Yankeetown in Levy County, and a tropical storm warning is in effect from Navarre to the Wakulla-Jefferson County line.”
• NPR News: 3 Florida Educators Die Of COVID-19 Within 24 Hours As Schools Prepare To Reopen. “Less than a week before schools are set to reopen in Florida’s Broward County, local union officials say three educators have died of complications from the coronavirus. The deaths were all recorded within a 24-hour span, according to union officials representing employees of the local school district.”
• WFLA-Tampa: Friends, colleagues remember Citrus County EMT who died from COVID-19. “People who worked with 29-year-old Justin Berleth called him more than just a colleague. He was a member of the family.”
• News Service of Florida: Census Numbers Set Stage for Redrawing Florida Political Districts. “Months overdue, key U.S. Census numbers were released Thursday that will allow Florida lawmakers to begin the process of redrawing congressional and legislative districts for the state’s 21.5 million residents.”
• WFSU: Tallahassee Bids Final Farewell To Bobby Bowden. “Hundreds of people attended the ‘Celebration of Life’ for Bobby Bowden Saturday at the Donald L. Tucker Civic Center. The legendary FSU football coach was remembered by many of those who knew him best.”
• Tampa Bay Times ($): Inside Fox News, DeSantis is ‘the future of the party.’ And he’s taking advantage. “By turning to DeSantis to fill the many hours of airtime once devoted to former President Donald Trump, Fox has made Florida’s hard-charging leader one of the country’s most recognizable Republicans. That has given DeSantis a leg up on others who may seek the party’s nomination for president in 2024. A recent nationwide poll of Republican voters put DeSantis atop the field if Trump doesn’t run again. No other prospective candidate was close.”
Today’s sponsored message
Visit lawyergainesville.com or call 352-373-3334 today to learn more.
From NPR News
About today’s curator
I’m Ethan Magoc, a news editor at WUFT. Originally from Pennsylvania, I’ve found a home telling Florida stories. I’m part of a team searching each morning for local and state stories that are important to you; please send feedback about today’s edition or ideas for stories we may have missed to email@example.com.