Subscribe to The Point to invite us into your inbox with the most important Florida news from Monday through Friday at 8 a.m.
The top stories near you
• The celebration of Martin Luther King Jr.’s life and legacy got underway last night with a speech, MLK Hall of Fame award and announcement of a scholarship to a P.K. Yonge Developmental Research School student. A county court judge called the occasion and this week’s events “a reminder that we have to keep pushing and not believe that we have arrived.” (WUFT News)
• Gainesville Sun ($): Central mental health facility plea to be heard
• News Service of Florida: Ex-Congresswoman Corrine Brown’s Conviction Upheld In Charity Scam
• Ocala Star-Banner ($): Ocala’s West Marion Hospital CEO takes new post in Citrus
• Florida Politics: Chuck Clemons, Kayser Enneking start 2020 with $100K+ in the bank
Today’s sponsored message
There’s no denying the importance of a good education.
Millhopper Montessori is one of only two area private schools accredited by FCIS, due in part to our highly-credentialed teachers and STEAM-enhanced curriculum. Millhopper’s unique methods allow each preschool through middle school student to explore and learn, all in a safe and secure environment. Millhopper students develop into poised, compassionate and creative leaders who are prepared for the next level. Call 352-375-6773 or visit millhopper.com today to schedule your tour.
Around the state today
• Tampa Bay Times ($): Could Florida teachers rallying at the Capitol be punished for a strike?
• Tallahassee Democrat ($): Road closures planned for Monday public education march, rally in Tallahassee
• Orlando Sentinel ($): Polk teachers could be fired if they attend education rally in Tallahassee, state lawyer says
• Florida Today ($): Excess litter prompts partial closing of Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge
• News Service of Florida: Airbnb has spent at least $1,250,000 to prevent local regulation of Florida rental properties
• Florida Times-Union ($): 3-alarm fire destroys $16.5 million Jacksonville apartment building under construction