Subscribe to The Point, arriving in your inbox Monday through Friday at 8 a.m.
Today’s top stories
• The music at the performance itself was well received, but the traffic on the way to and from Saturday’s Garth Brooks concert was as bad as a home football game’s. (The Alligator)
• Former Gator soccer star Abby Wambach is has published a new book, “WOLFPACK.” (NPR News)
• Friday’s severe thunderstorm brought a large oak tree through an Alachua family’s house. There’s now a GoFundMe page to help them recover. (The Alligator)
• Marion County students opted against a ceremony at the one-year anniversary of the shooting at Forest High School in favor of a day of service. (Ocala Star-Banner)
• The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association upgraded Hurricane Michael to a Category 5, making it the first storm that powerful in the United States since Hurricane Andrew. (Panama City News Herald)
• In other Michael recovery news: 72 million tons of tree debris could make for a worsened wildfire season in the Panhandle, and a woman explains what it’s been like to drive for Uber in Bay County since the storm. (Naples Daily News, Panama City News Herald)
• The path to becoming a nurse is becoming incredibly competitive in Florida, even as thousands of nursing job openings come available each year. (Sarasota Herald-Tribune)
• “This is why we test,” a NASA administrator said after smoke emerged from a SpaceX capsule test this weekend. (Orlando Sentinel)
• Wednesday could bring a resolution to the Andrew Gillum ethics case that has lingered since well before November’s election in which he was defeated. (Tallahassee Democrat)
• George Zimmerman is no longer welcome on Bumble or Tinder. (Orlando Sentinel)
Today’s sponsored message
Crime Prevention Security Systems has more than 40 years of experience in providing peace of mind for businesses and families in North Central Florida. With its free app, local monitoring and state of the art security equipment, Crime Prevention is the local leader in security systems and home technology. Upgrade your existing system now for remote access to your security, lights, locks and thermostats – from your smartphone or tablet. Call 352-376-1499 or visit www.cpss.net.
News from NPR
About today’s curator
I’m Ethan Magoc, a news editor at WUFT. Originally from Pennsylvania, I’ve found a home telling Florida stories. I’m part of a team searching each morning for local and state stories that are important to you; please send feedback about today’s edition or ideas for stories we may have missed to email@example.com.