Subscribe to The Point, arriving in your inbox Monday through Friday at 8 a.m.
Today’s top stories
• Body camera footage released Friday shows the confessed Parkland shooter in the moments after police captured him near Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. (Sun Sentinel)
• The high-profile trial begins today for a man accused of dropping his daughter into Tampa Bay from the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in 2015. (Tampa Bay Times)
• Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried wants more help in her office to process background checks for concealed-carry licenses. (WFSU)
• Friday marked the one-year anniversary of the deadly bridge collapse at Florida International University. (WLRN)
• Public Education Capital Outlay, better known as PECO, funds are expected to decrease in the next fiscal year, leaving less money available to Florida’s universities, state colleges, public schools and charter schools. (Florida Politics)
• “If you’re a medical cannabis company, you want to be around other medical facilities because that’s what it is; it’s a medicine.” Gainesville is poised to become a key location for the growth of Florida’s medical marijuana industry. (Gainesville Sun)
• The Florida Gators men’s basketball team earned a spot in this year’s NCAA tournament, and its first game is Thursday at 6:50 p.m. (The Alligator)
• A new report suggests Orlando is now the worst metro area in the country for those seeking affordable housing. (Orlando Weekly)
• Car hits fire hydrant. Fire hydrant causes sinkhole. Car sinks into hole. And at the end of that sequence in Summerfield, state troopers arrested the driver on a DUI charge. (Ocala Star-Banner)
Today’s sponsored message
There’s no denying the importance of a good education.
Millhopper Montessori is one of only two area private schools accredited by FCIS, due in part to our highly-credentialed teachers and STEAM-enhanced curriculum. Millhopper’s unique methods allow each preschool through middle school student to explore and learn, all in a safe and secure environment. Millhopper students develop into poised, compassionate and creative leaders who are prepared for the next level. Call 352-375-6773 or visit millhopper.com today to schedule your tour.
News from NPR
About today’s curator
I’m Ethan Magoc, a news editor at WUFT. Originally from Pennsylvania, I’ve found a home telling Florida stories. I’m part of a team searching each morning for local and state stories that are important to you; please send feedback about today’s edition or ideas for stories we may have missed to firstname.lastname@example.org.