Home / Law and public safety / Patio Burns In Propane Fire

Patio Burns In Propane Fire

By
Photo courtesy of
A patio fire caused by a faulty propone grill occurred on Sunday evening in Marion County. Approximately 10 percent of a home was affected, according to a news release. Photo courtesy of Marion County Fire Rescue.

A faulty propane grill caught fire on the back patio of a home in Summerfield, Fla., on Sunday.

Marion County Public Safety Communications Center received a call about the blaze at 16097 SE 89th Terrace.

The Marion County Fire Rescue arrived on location about five minutes after receiving the call, upon which they found approximately 10 percent of the home had been affected by the fire. In total, 17 firefighters were involved at the scene, according to James Lucas, spokesperson for MCFR.

Following protocol, MCFR was able to stop the fire from spreading with an aggressive attack and save the home, Lucas. The family is safe following the blaze.

The National Fire Protection Association estimates an average of 8,800 home fires are caused by grilling annually.

Half of grill fires occurring on residential properties nationwide occur during May, June, July and August, according to the U.S. Fire Administration.

In reaction to the fire, Lucas highlighted ways to prevent grilling fires from occurring in the future. He said to keep the grill a reasonable distance from structures and to not leave it unattended.

About Scott St. Lifer

Scott is a reporter for WUFT News who may be contacted by calling 352-392-6397 or emailing news @wuft.org

Check Also

How RTS And Alachua County Schools Have Worked To Improve Bus Safety

The 167 RTS-involved lawsuits and insurance claims have been filed against the city since fiscal year 2014, costing the city about $1 million in settlements and legal fees.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *