Chicken House Fire Kills 24,000 Chicks

Photo provided by Suwannee County Fire Rescue

A chicken house in Live Oak caught on fire Wednesday night.

The $152,000 structure at Saavedra Farms, 240th Street, was destroyed, according to Suwannee County Fire Rescue.

The 24,000 two-day-old chickens inside, valued at $8,000, died.

Suwannee County Fire Rescue received the fire alarm at 10:50 p.m, according to a news release.

Crews worked through the night to extinguish the fire while protecting the other houses and propane tanks in the area.

There were no human injuries.

About Marena Smith

Marena is a reporter who can be contacted by calling 352-392-6397 or emailing

Check Also

ZooTampa welcomes its first endangered Komodo dragon hatchlings

After nine months of incubation, six baby Komodo dragons hatched -- three female and three male -- at ZooTampa.