- Florida Gov. Rick Scott spoke at the University of Florida Monday in support of the university’s quest for top 10 status.
- Florida’s average gas price is up 8 cents from last week, and gas prices are expected to continue to increase until April.
- About 36 people were killed during a stampede in India at the close of the traditional Hindu festival of Kumbh Mela. The railing of a foot bridge collapsed, triggering the stampede.
- Pope Benedict XVI announced Monday that he is to resign on Feb. 28, citing health reasons.
- Five crew members died and three others were injured during a drill on a cruise ship in the Canary Islands.
Three people died in a crash involving a cement mixer in Sarasota. That and more in 90 seconds.