WUFT-FM staff and students have won seven 2013 Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards, the Radio Television Digital News Association announced today.
The awards recognize work of the highest quality produced by radio, television and online news organizations around the world. The regional winners are automatically entered in the national Edward R. Murrow Awards competition, which will be judged during the summer. National awards will be presented at the New York Marriott Marquis in New York City on Columbus Day.
WUFT-FM, competing in the small market radio category against stations from Florida, Georgia, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, won the following:
- Audio Newscast – “Tragedy on I-75,” WUFT staff
- Audio News Documentary – “Venezuelan Voters: The Personal Journey,” Luis Giraldo
- Overall Excellence – News Coverage, 2012 WUFT staff
- Audio News Reporting Hard News – “Cedar Key Oyster Industry on the Brink,” Cameron Taylor
- Audio News Series – “After the Wars: Veterans Learn to Cope,” Luis Giraldo
- Broadcast Affiliated Website – WUFT website
- Audio Sports Reporting – “Young Gymnasts Find Role Models in London,” Corey Brooks and Danny Gibble
The complete list of winners is available at http://rtdna.org/content/2013_regional_edward_r_murrow_award_winners#%23region13.