WUFT Press Room

WUFT-FM to launch Spanish language programming service on 89.1 HD3 April 11

By on April 11th, 2011
Groundbreaking Initiative by UF’s College of Journalism & Communications to support bilingual journalism training for students

University of Florida public radio station WUFT-FM 89.1 will begin broadcasting Spanish language programming on the 89.1 HD3 channel on Monday, April 11. WUFT Ahora will feature news, public affairs and variety programming, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Within the next 60-90 days, WUFT Ahora will also include Spanish language newscasts produced by University of Florida College of Journalism and Communication students. The inclusion of these local Spanish student newscasts throughout the day on a 24-hour Spanish-language radio station is a unique service and distinguishes the University of Florida and WUFT-FM from other colleges of journalism and large universities in America. WUFT 89.1 HD3 can be heard on an HD radio.

“We’re thrilled with this latest in a long line of new initiatives through UF’s multimedia properties that will further serve the citizens of north Florida and provide our students with world-class opportunities unique only to the University of Florida”, said Randy Wright, executive director of the Division of Multimedia Properties.

WUFT Ahora will feature content from NPR Ahora, a service of Radio Netherlands Worldwide and distributed by NPR. NPR Ahora provides Spanish-speaking audiences in the United States – now estimated at more than 45 million people – news, updates and a variety of programs.

WUFT-FM offers training opportunities and real world news reporting and production experience to UF College of Journalism and Communications telecommunication students. Currently, student reporters produce a 30-minute weekly Spanish language news program called Noticias airing on WUFT-FM 89.1 and 89.1 HD1 on Saturdays at 6:30 a.m.

The HD digital radio platform gives existing radio stations the ability to transmit multiple signals on the same frequency. WUFT-FM 89.1 HD1 features news/talk programming from NPR, PRI and APM. The 89.1 HD2 channel broadcasts classical music known as “Classic 89.1 WUFT-FM HD-2” and now 89.1 HD3 will serve the Spanish-speaking audience in north Florida with high-quality news, theme programs, and cultural and music shows through WUFT Ahora.

In the near future, WUFT-FM 89.1 HD3 will be available online.

The UF College of Journalism and Communications Division of Multimedia Properties is comprised of television stations Florida’s 5 WUFT-TV and WLUF-TV; two public radio stations Florida’s 89.1 WUFT-FM, 89.1 and WJUF-FM; and two commercial radio stations Country 103.7, The Gator and WRUF Sportsradio 850. The station studios are located in the College and serve as a training facility for telecommunication, journalism, advertising and public relations students. They serve listeners and viewers in central and northern Florida.

This entry was posted in Press Releases. Bookmark the permalink.