WUFT News

Phone Scams Fool Marion County Residents

By on April 4th, 2014
Phone Scams

Dominik Syka / Flickr

If a phone call seems too good to be true, it might be a scam.

In Ocala, an 87-year-old Fairfield Village resident recently fell for a phone scam in which a caller claimed the resident won $3.5 million and a Mercedes-Benz. The caller then pressured the resident to first pay money in order to receive his prize.

By the time the Marion County Sheriff’s Office was notified, the victim had already wired more than $10,000 to a stranger in Sunrise, Fla.

Don’t trust emails, letters or phone calls from people saying you’ve won something but must send money first, Marion County Sheriff Chris Blair said in a news release.

Delete and block the email address, throw away the letter or hang up the phone, Blair said. Do not open any attachments from scammers via email.

Alachua County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Art Forgey said scams are reported at least once a week.

“We’ve seen several different types,” he said.

Scams can include anything from phone calls to emails to fake bank account notifications, Forgey said.

Scams typically target the elderly because scammers often claim the potential victim’s family members are in trouble and need money, he said.

Alachua County alone sees about 50 to 75 reported scam victims per year who wire money to cons. Some go unreported because elderly victims don’t want to lose their independence or admit to falling for a scam.

“I get those (calls) on my work phone all the time,” Forgey said.

If a scammer contacts you, Forgey said to log onto the Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.ic3.gov. If you’ve been a victim of a scam, call your local law enforcement agency.


This entry was posted in Crime and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.
  • Softie

    While a majority’s opinion may tell us what some people desire on a particular occasion, it cannot tell us what those very same people would choose if they were more educated.

 

More Stories in Crime

Ocala Double Homicide Suspect Dies in Local Hospital

The suspect in a double homicide has died last night, Tuesday. Ricardo De Jesus Barrera was suspected to have shot and killed Bonnie and Julia Motto.


Marion County Teenager Arrested After Shooting Two Men

A Marion County teenager was arrested Thursday in connection with last week’s shooting of two 18-year-old men.


harris_preview

Accusation Dropped in Treon Harris Battery Case; Harris Reinstated

The woman who has accused Florida freshman quarterback Treon Harris of sexual battery has withdrawn her charge. Harris has been allowed to return to all University and University Athletic Association activities, according to statements from the University of Florida and […]


Treon Harris’s Attorney Releases Statement Regarding Sexual Battery Accusations

UPDATE, 4:10 p.m.: Johnson & Osteryoung, P.A. released a statement Thursday in response to an 18-page redacted statement released by the University of Florida the day before. Treon Harris’ attorney Huntley Johnson said he found the University’s statement was leading to […]


UF Releases Preliminary Report on the Harris Battery Accusation

The University of Florida released an 18-page redacted incident report this afternoon on the accusations of sexual battery reported earlier this week by Florida freshman quarterback Treon Harris.


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Day Sponsorship Payments
Underwriting Payments