WUFT News

Gainesville house fire sparks safety advisory

By and on January 24th, 2014

Kara Godwin fell asleep around midnight to the sight of the last bit of flames dying down in her fireplace.

She awoke nearly four hours later to flashing red lights coming through the windows and aggressive banging on her door.

Gainesville firefighters arrived at her home in the 1900 block of Northwest 14th Avenue after a neighbor called in a large fire coming from the house’s roof, according to a news release from Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Lane.

Godwin safely left her house. GFR had the fire under control within 10 minutes, according to the release.

“I was completely stunned, and just stood there in the cold and watched the firemen do their amazing work and get the fire out,” she said.

The Gainesville homeowner had only been living in the house for two months. She was still in the process of unpacking, she said.

There were also two house fires in Bradenton and Orlando on Friday, each leaving a person dead. The causes of the fires are still being investigated.

With January being the peak period for heating-related house fires, Lane said he encourages people to get their fireplaces cleaned and inspected annually — especially in cold weather when they’re used frequently.

Fireplaces aren’t the only heating implements causing trouble this time of year — if a kerosene or space heater hasn’t been serviced recently or is improperly tuned, it can produce deadly carbon monoxide, GFR Lt. Pat West said.

“It’s not uncommon at all for us to go out for either activated carbon monoxide alarms or for people experiencing signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning,” he said.

Carbon monoxide poisoning shows flu-like symptoms, West said, such as headache, nausea and feeling lightheaded.

West said kerosene heaters in particular can produce carbon monoxide due to incomplete combustion, so it’s important to keep a few windows open to ensure proper ventilation.

Using clean kerosene and a clean wick also helps cut down on carbon monoxide emissions.

“We always caution folks to have their heater or gas-fired furnaces serviced on a regular basis,” West said.

Placement of heaters also needs to be taken into account, he said. Heaters should be placed far away from anything that can catch on fire once hot enough, like blankets and furniture.


This entry was posted in Local and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
 

More Stories in Local

Cars travel through the two-lane trial section of NW 8th Avenue just east of NW 34th Street in Gainesville on November 21st. The blacked-out lines from the previous setup are still visible.

Community Members Urge City to Keep NW 8th Ave. Two Lanes

University Park Neighborhood residents and other community members are urging the Gainesville City Commission to keep 8th Avenue as a two-lane road for safety reasons.


The Alachua County Energy Management team is upgrading lights in county-owned building parking lots to light-emitting diode (LED). County officials estimate the new update to save the county a total of $10,000 annually on electricity bill.

Alachua Updates Parking Lots With LED Technology

The Alachua County Energy Management team will be upgrading lights in all county-owned building parking lots to light-emitting diode (LED). The county estimates the new update will save the county a total of $10,000 annually on electricity bills.


The Alachua County Sheriff's Office came before the board to request additional funds at the county commission meeting Tuesday. A motion to allocate $500,000 in capital outlay was passed 4-1.

County Commission Votes on Sheriff’s Office’s Request for Additional Funds

The Alachua County Sheriff’s Office came before the board of commissioners to request additional funds at the Alachua County Commission meeting Tuesday. The Sheriff’s Office asked for $970,000 for replacement vehicles and a 3 percent salary increase for servicemen and women. A motion to allocate $500,000 was passed 4-1.


Construction On Main Street Causes Inconvenience

The S Main Street northbound lane closed on Nov. 10 for construction at its intersection with Depot Avenue. The construction proved to be an inconvenience for motorists, business owners and residents alike.


Parents of Gainesville High School students line up at Planet Fitness to pick up their students after a bomb threat. Students and staff were evacuated from GHS after a threat was called in around noon.

Gainesville High School Receives Two Additional, Identical Bomb Threats

Gainesville High School received a bomb threat and subsequently evacuated all students and staff to a nearby Planet Fitness parking lot on Wednesday. GHS received two additional, identical threats Thursday morning, but the school has not been evacuated.


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Day Sponsorship Payments
Underwriting Payments