WUFT News

GPD names a person of interest in armed burglary and sexual battery case

By on April 30th, 2013
Andre Locus

Alachua County Jail

Andre Locus

Gainesville police have identified a person of interest in a recent SW 10th St. armed residential burglary and sexual battery case.

Andre Locus, 19, may be connected to the April 15 incident, police said, adding that the case is ongoing.

Police identified Locus after discovering similarities between this incident and a 2011 sexual battery case. Police arrested Locus Tuesday for the 2011 sexual battery.

Locus reportedly broke into a home at 1200 block of SW First Ave. and raped a woman at knifepoint before stealing her electronics, police said about the 2011 case. Because he was 17-years-old at the time, the state attorney’s office will be involved in the decision of how he will be charged.

“We don’t have enough evidence to connect the two, but we are definitely looking at him as a person of interest in the recent case,” said Ben Tobias, spokesman for the Gainesville Police Department.

In both the recent and 2011 cases, a weapon was involved, sexual battery occurred and personal electronic items were stolen, he said.

“We didn’t know he was the suspect (in the 2011 case) until we received forensic evidence (Monday),” Tobias said. “Once we had the warrant, we immediately went looking for him.”

Locus was carrying several stolen items at the time of his arrest from another occupied residential burglary case which occurred less than a week ago at 1123 SW First Ave., Tobais said. He also had a stash of property police think was likely stolen from other burglaries in the area.


This entry was posted in Crime and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
 

More Stories in Crime

Ocala Double Homicide Suspect Dies in Local Hospital

The suspect in a double homicide has died last night, Tuesday. Ricardo De Jesus Barrera was suspected to have shot and killed Bonnie and Julia Motto.


Marion County Teenager Arrested After Shooting Two Men

A Marion County teenager was arrested Thursday in connection with last week’s shooting of two 18-year-old men.


harris_preview

Accusation Dropped in Treon Harris Battery Case; Harris Reinstated

The woman who has accused Florida freshman quarterback Treon Harris of sexual battery has withdrawn her charge. Harris has been allowed to return to all University and University Athletic Association activities, according to statements from the University of Florida and […]


Treon Harris’s Attorney Releases Statement Regarding Sexual Battery Accusations

UPDATE, 4:10 p.m.: Johnson & Osteryoung, P.A. released a statement Thursday in response to an 18-page redacted statement released by the University of Florida the day before. Treon Harris’ attorney Huntley Johnson said he found the University’s statement was leading to […]


UF Releases Preliminary Report on the Harris Battery Accusation

The University of Florida released an 18-page redacted incident report this afternoon on the accusations of sexual battery reported earlier this week by Florida freshman quarterback Treon Harris.


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Day Sponsorship Payments
Underwriting Payments