Home / National / Court: Marathon suspect charged; details sealed

Court: Marathon suspect charged; details sealed


Updated 1:42 p.m. BOSTON (AP) — A court official says the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings is facing federal charges and has made an initial court appearance in his hospital room.

The charges against 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (joh-KHAR’ tsahr-NEYE’-ehv) remain sealed. He is listed in serious but stable condition.

Gary Wente is circuit executive of the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. He says the suspect made his first appearance before a magistrate judge Monday afternoon in Beth Israel hospital.

Officials say Tsarnaev and his older brother set off the twin explosions at Monday’s marathon, killing three people and injuring more than 180 others.

Original update: BOSTON (AP) — Court official: Suspect in marathon bombing charged in hospital.


About Christina DeVarona

Christina is a reporter for WUFT News and can be contacted by calling 352-392-6397 or emailing news@wuft.org.

Check Also

Donald Trump speaks at GOP Sunshine Summit in Orlando, Florida on Nov. 13, 2015. (Ariella Phillips/WUFT News)

Florida Police Charge Trump Campaign Manager With Assault

Florida police have charged Donald Trump's campaign manager Corey Lewandowski with simple assault in connection with an incident earlier in the month involving a reporter.