WUFT-FM won seven Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards. The Radio Television Digital News Association announced the winners Thursday.
WUFT-FM belongs to region 13 and competed against stations from Florida, Georgia, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands in the small market radio category.
The station won the following regional awards:
- Broadcast Affiliated Website – WUFT.org
- Overall Excellence – WUFT News
- Audio News Reporting Hard News – “Cedar Key Oyster Industry on the Brink,” Cameron Taylor
- Audio Newscast – “Tragedy on I-75,” WUFT staff
- Audio News Documentary – “Venezuelan Voters: The Personal Journey,” Luis Giraldo
- Audio News Series – “After the Wars: Veterans Learn to Cope,” Luis Giraldo
- Audio Sports Reporting – “Young Gymnasts Find Role Models in London,” Corey Brooks and Danny Gibble
RTDNA has been recognizing outstanding electronic journalism achievements since 1971, according to its website. The award recipients demonstrate the “spirit of excellence that Murrow set as a standard for the profession of electronic journalism.”
The regional winners are automatically entered in the national Edward R. Murrow Awards competition, which will be judged during the summer. National awards will be presented in New York City in October.