WUFT News

Gainesville man flees following domestic battery charges

By on April 10th, 2013
A recent photo of William Matthew Ford Jr., courtesy of GPD. Ford last said he was fleeing to Orlando, and still has not been located.

A recent photo of William Matthew Ford Jr., courtesy of GPD. Ford last said he was fleeing to Orlando and still has not been located.

A Gainesville man fled to Orlando after allegedly beating his live-in girlfriend of two months and her disabled friend, according to a Gainesville Police Department release.

William Matthew Ford Jr., 43, his girlfriend and her friend went to Fletcher’s Cocktail Lounge, located at 619 NW 5th Ave, on Sunday night.

At about 1 a.m., after leaving the lounge, the victim said she and her boyfriend began arguing in the car.

The victim said Ford then began to beat her. When her disabled friend intervened, the victim said Ford began to beat her friend as well.

According to the release, both victims were visibly injured.

When his girlfriend tried to call the police, she said Ford took her cellphone and smashed it on the ground outside of the car.

She said Ford then wouldn’t let them out of the car. He drove to Jacksonville and back to Gainesville before he dropped them off at the home he shared with his girlfriend and drove off alone, stealing the victim’s car.

The victims told police they were terrified and unable to get out of the car at any point.  Both victims spoke to a victim advocate following the incident.

Police said Ford later called the victim saying he’d parked her car at a local Burger King, located at 3905 SW Archer Road, and said he was fleeing to Orlando.

Ford is being charged with domestic battery by strangulation, battery of a disabled person, two counts of kidnapping, stealing a vehicle and hindering communication to law enforcement.

He has still not been located, according to the release by GPD. If anyone has information on Ford’s location, he or she can call GPD at 352-955-1818.


This entry was posted in Crime and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.
 

More Stories in Crime

Ocala Double Homicide Suspect Dies in Local Hospital

The suspect in a double homicide has died last night, Tuesday. Ricardo De Jesus Barrera was suspected to have shot and killed Bonnie and Julia Motto.


Marion County Teenager Arrested After Shooting Two Men

A Marion County teenager was arrested Thursday in connection with last week’s shooting of two 18-year-old men.


harris_preview

Accusation Dropped in Treon Harris Battery Case; Harris Reinstated

The woman who has accused Florida freshman quarterback Treon Harris of sexual battery has withdrawn her charge. Harris has been allowed to return to all University and University Athletic Association activities, according to statements from the University of Florida and [...]


Treon Harris’s Attorney Releases Statement Regarding Sexual Battery Accusations

UPDATE, 4:10 p.m.: Johnson & Osteryoung, P.A. released a statement Thursday in response to an 18-page redacted statement released by the University of Florida the day before. Treon Harris’ attorney Huntley Johnson said he found the University’s statement was leading to [...]


UF Releases Preliminary Report on the Harris Battery Accusation

The University of Florida released an 18-page redacted incident report this afternoon on the accusations of sexual battery reported earlier this week by Florida freshman quarterback Treon Harris.


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Day Sponsorship Payments
Underwriting Payments