- Florida Gov. Rick Scott spoke at the University of Florida Monday in support of the university’s quest for top 10 status.
- Florida’s average gas price is up 8 cents from last week, and gas prices are expected to continue to increase until April.
- About 36 people were killed during a stampede in India at the close of the traditional Hindu festival of Kumbh Mela. The railing of a foot bridge collapsed, triggering the stampede.
- Pope Benedict XVI announced Monday that he is to resign on Feb. 28, citing health reasons.
- Five crew members died and three others were injured during a drill on a cruise ship in the Canary Islands.
Crash investigators in Colombia are analyzing data on flight recorders from the charter plane that went down killing 71. That and more in 90 seconds.