- Gov. Rick Scott is calling for more than $6 billion in his budget proposal for public schools, state colleges and universities. His proposal also calls for a $2,500 raise for kindergarten through 12th-grade teachers. He also wants to provide $15 million for UF to receive a national ranking in the top 10.
- A new Wal-Mart Super Center opened today on Northwest 23rd street across from the Senior Recreation Center. The opening follows the closing of the 13th street Wal-Mart on Thursday. The new supercenter will be open 24/7.
- One-year-old Robert Patrick Hagerty was found on Thursday in Volusia County after a missing child alert was issued for him in Marion County. He was found with a grandparent, according to the Daytona Beach Police Department.
- An Alabama man is still holding a 5-year-old hostage in an underground bunker. Investigators say that Jimmy Dykes shot and killed a bus driver and grabbed the kindergartener on Wednesday. The child has Asperger’s syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Hostage negotiators have tried to persuade Dykes to release the child, but he isn’t budging.
- Today marks the first day of National Heart Disease Awareness Month. Heart Disease is the leading cause of death in the United States.
Construction debris in Miami kills one and injures five. That and more in 90 seconds.