A mobile home near Brooker is uninhabitable after strong winds fanned the flames of a house fire on Tuesday morning.
The resident, Karen Smith, turned the heating system on in her house and smelled smoke shortly afterward, said Michael Heeder, the emergency management spokesman for Bradford County. After checking the attic, Smith saw the fire, left the residence immediately and called 911.
Despite the issues with the roof and strong winds, Heeder said firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in less than 30 minutes without injury. He said the fire was started around an exterior wall and remains under investigation by the state fire marshal office.
“Preliminary indications are that the fire was caused by an electrical problem in the attic,” he said. “However, that remains under investigation.”
Heeder said the house fire rekindled Wednesday morning because of strong winds. In these conditions, he discourages people from burning on their property. Heeder said fires can break out at any time, and it is important to be prepared.
“The key thing to remember is we can’t predict where and when a fire will start,” he said.