Wind-driven fire destroys Brooker home
A mobile home near Brooker is uninhabitable after strong winds fanned the flames of a house fire on Tuesday morning.
The resident, Karen Smith, turned the heating system on in her house and smelled smoke shortly afterward, said Michael Heeder, the emergency management spokesman for Bradford County. After checking the attic, Smith saw the fire, left the residence immediately and called 911.
Despite the issues with the roof and strong winds, Heeder said firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in less than 30 minutes without injury. He said the fire was started around an exterior wall and remains under investigation by the state fire marshal office.
“Preliminary indications are that the fire was caused by an electrical problem in the attic,” he said. “However, that remains under investigation.”
Heeder said the house fire rekindled Wednesday morning because of strong winds. In these conditions, he discourages people from burning on their property. Heeder said fires can break out at any time, and it is important to be prepared.
“The key thing to remember is we can’t predict where and when a fire will start,” he said.
More Stories in Environment
The city of Gainesville closed Cofrin Nature Park in order to complete a restoration project on Beville Creek. The goal of the project is to repair the eroding shoreline and provide new areas to the creek where wildlife can gather. The park is slated to reopen sometime in the fall.
Almost two years after the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission closed Suwannee Lake to the public for renovations, some of the changes are now visible. For almost 50 years, the lake has provided a natural habitat for wildlife in […]
The Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission met yesterday to review a proposal which would allow bear hunting on specific areas throughout Florida. Wildlife groups question if hunting is the solution to an increasing number of bear encounters.
When Swamp Head Brewery moved into their new location, off Southwest 34th Street in Gainesville, in January, they saved one acre of their land for conservation. The brewery is working toward creating an environment that is reflective of their tasting room, “The Wetlands.”
Alachua County Fire Rescue Station 25 will be the first county building in Hawthorne to be outfitted with solar panels. The station is one of 24 buildings determined viable for the county’s solar panel initiative, which seeks to cut energy consumption.