WUFT News

Bayfront Medical Center plans partnership with Health Management Associates, affiliation with Shands

By and on October 29th, 2012

Bayfront Medical Center, located in St. Petersburg, has plans to join the for-profit Health Management Associates.  Bayfront was one of the last independent hospitals in the Tampa region.

Health Management Associates, which operates 70 hospitals in 15 states, would gain an 80 percent controlling interest, according to an article from the Tampa Bay Times. A new not-for-profit group called Bayfront Health, Education and Research Organization or Bayfront HERO will control the remaining 20 percent.

Kanika Tomalin, vice president of strategic planning at Bayfront, told the Tampa Bay Times no layoffs are expected. Officials also said the partnership would allow Bayfront to retire about $80 million in debt.

Shands HealthCare, the medical center at the University of Florida, will become an affiliate of Bayfront for clinical, research and educational resources.

Tim Goldfarb, Shands HealthCare CEO, said if approved, the partnership would assist Bayfront to better handle economic pressures and health reform.

“We would listen very carefully to the medical staff in St. Petersburg and to the community to see how Shands might be able to help in delivering services at Bayfront,” Goldfarb said.

HMA has a history of working with UF and Shands, according to the article. In 2010, HMA gained a majority interest in three small Shands hospitals in Central Florida.

According to the Tampa Bay Times article, the St. Petersburg City Council must approve the deal because it owns the land where the hospital is located. The council will likely be asked to vote in mid-December.

Bayfront was established in 1906, and it is home to the only trauma center in Pinellas County. In addition, it is one of the largest employers in Pinellas County with about 2,500 employees.

Cassandra Vangellow wrote this story for online.


This entry was posted in Florida, Health and Science, Local, University of Florida and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
 

More Stories in Florida

Screen Shot

UF Students Welcome Bill Proposing Tax-Free Textbooks

A new law in Florida could help students save money on expensive textbooks. The bill looks to eliminate the sales tax from textbooks to give students a break on the hundreds they already spend on required texts.


The SPLC lists and classifies hate groups in the country. Only organizations and their chapters known to be active during 2014 were included.

Southern Poverty Law Center Issues Report on Hate Groups

The Southern Poverty Law Center reports there are currently 784 hate groups nationwide. Florida’s 50 hate groups ranks second in the nation, with California topping the list with 57 different groups.


Nutrislice is an application that allows parents and students to see what’s being served for lunch and the ingredients in the food at their public school. During the summer, people can use the app to find Summer Meal Program sites where children up to 18 can get breakfast and lunch for free.

New App Feature Makes Lunch Easier For Children During Summer

A new feature on the Nutrislice app will show parents and students where the nearest Summer Meal Program site is. With 20 million viewers, the mobile application is designed to inform people about the school lunch program and to help alleviate food insecurity in Florida.


Marcia Daniel (right) is the executive director of Life's Choices of Lake County and Beth Harrison (left) is a former client of Life's Choices. Representative Sullivan is in the middle. The photo was taken just after the bill passed out of its first Senate committee meeting on Tuesday.

Bills Proposing Abortion Counseling, Waiting Period For Women Move Forward

A set of bills moving through the Florida Senate and House of Representatives would require women to attend a counseling session 24 hours prior to having an abortion procedure. Proponents of the legislation believe the bills would provide awareness, while others believe the mandated counseling could have a negative impact on women’s health.


Florida House Bills Allowing Concealed Carry In Schools Pass Judiciary Committee

Two bills proposing changes to existing state standings on concealed weapons and firearms in schools won favorable votes in the House Judiciary Committee on Thursday. HB 4005 and HB 19 will now be put to a vote on the House floor before moving on to the state Senate.


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Underwriting Payments