West Nile human case shows up in Jacksonville
Alachua County Health officials are encouraging citizens to take extra precautions against mosquitoes as Jacksonville has recently reported its first human case of the West Nile virus. Alachua County Health Department’s Environmental Health Director Anthony Dennis believes risks of transmission have increased within the county.
Dennis says Alachua County has had experience with the West Nile virus.
Although the last reported case was 10 years ago, a far worse mosquito-borne disease was recently detected in Alachua County. On July 19, Eastern Equine Enchephalitis detected by Alachua surveillance systems. Although Triple E is extremely rare, it is more infectious and fatal than West Nile. Dennis hopes people stay vigilant to reduce possible exposure to disease.
Dennis recommends citizens change out door and window screens to protect their homes from mosquito populations
More Stories in Health and Science
Andrew Tatum battled multiple addictions with hard drugs and junk food. Now he finds peace and purpose in biking and blogging about his struggles in order to help others.
Brain Works in Gainesville uses auditory training to treat learning disabilities and brain trauma. It’s helped 13-year-old Nate with his dyslexia, dyscalculia and dysgraphia, but scientists question how effective the treatment really is.
A new study has found that muscadine grape seed oil can help reduce obesity. Containing a vitamin E derivative, the oil can help prevent the formation of new fat cells.
The Columbia County Water Conservation project encourages commercial buildings to decrease water usage by upgrading to high efficiency plumbing models. This project will reduce the amount of water used per flush in a toilet, which can save about 90,000 gallons each day and 32.8 gallons per year.
Marion County Utilities issued a precautionary boil water warning Tuesday after water pressure levels dropped below the average rate. That notice has since been lifted following the completion of a biological survey showing the water was safe to drink again.