Official Red Cross Press Release:
Melanie Saxon (352) 258-6304
Christian Smith (904) 307-7110
Red Cross Opens Distribution Sites for Supplies while Shelters Remain Open
The following Red Cross sites are open for distribution of supplies which include coolers, comfort kits, flashlights, tarps, clean-up kits, trash bags and more. In addition Catholic Charities is distributing water at the sites. People in need of food should visit a shelter location.
All current distribution sites are in Columbia County with exception of High Springs site:
Gar Pond – 1548 NW Suwannee Valley Road
Deep Creek Community Center – 11934 N US 441
Jeff Davis location – intersection of 252 B + Jeff Davis Road
S&S Store – corner of SR 247 + Troy Road-2314 SW SR 247
Sheriff’s Sub Station – 1001 SW Bryant Avenue – Fort White
Pope Store – Fort White 2980 SW Wilson Springs Road
Cypress Lake location – Intersection of Cypress Lake Rd & SW Charles Terrace
Fire Station – 205 NW First Avenue, High Springs
With water still rising, it is imperative that residents are aware of these shelter locations:
CURRENT SHELTER OPENINGS:
- Richardson Middle School – 646 SE Pennsylvania St, LAKE CITY
- Suwannee Coliseum Complex – 1302 11th St SW, LIVE OAK
After a flood:
- Watch out for animals, especially snakes that may have come into your home.
- If you smell natural or propane gas or hear a hissing noise, leave immediately and call the fire department.
- If power lines are down outside your home, do not step in puddles or standing water.
- Keep children and pets away from hazardous sites and floodwater.
- Materials such as cleaning products, paint, batteries, contaminated fuel or containers are hazardous. Check with local authorities for assistance with disposal.
- Look outside for loose power lines, damaged gas lines, foundation cracks and other damage.
# # #