Nation & World News

12-Hour Cease-Fire Begins In Gaza

By Bill Chappell on July 25th, 2014

Updated 3:03 a.m.

A humanitarian cease-fire went into effect on Saturday, a plan agreed to hours earlier by Hamas and Israeli leaders. The truce would allow Palestinian civilians to get food and aid where it’s needed, and would last for 12 hours, officials say.

The Associated Press reported that the Israeli military warned that it “shall respond if terrorists choose to exploit” the lull to attack Israeli troops or civilians.

News of the truce came after prolonged U.S. attempts on Friday to broker a lasting peace deal between the two sides who have been fighting for more than two weeks.

Emily Harris reported for our Newscast unit:

“Secretary of State John Kerry left Cairo after a day of negotiations, saying he has the basic outlines of a longer truce. He’ll continue negotiations with various parties in Paris on Saturday.

“Israel says a longer-term cease-fire must include destroying tunnels Hamas built to sneak in to Israel. Hamas wants an end to the economic blockade Israel and Egypt impose on the Gaza Strip.

“Regardless of intentions for Saturday, late Friday night, strikes in the Gaza Strip continued.

“The number of dead on both sides rose Friday, as Israel announced one more soldier had been killed and another previously categorized as missing was dead. Palestinian health officials said the death toll in Gaza had passed 850 people.”

Earlier Friday, Kerry rejected talk of Israel rejecting a U.S.-brokered truce as “mischief” from people who don’t want the hostilities to end.

“They may have rejected some language or suggestion, but there was no formal proposal submitted by me on which a vote was ripe,” Kerry said.

According to the BBC, reports of Saturday’s 12-hour truce came “shortly after Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon warned that ground operations in Gaza could soon be broadened ‘significantly.’ ”

Copyright 2014 NPR. To see more, visit

This entry was posted in News from NPR. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.


More Stories in News from NPR

North Charleston Will Pay Walter Scott’s Family $6.5 Million

The city has reached a multi-million dollar settlement with the family of the unarmed black man shot and killed by a white police officer in April.

The SS United States ocean liner, seen here docked in Philadelphia in 2013, was built in 1952 for United States Lines in an attempt to capture the trans-Atlantic speed record.

SS United States, Once a Marvel Of Technology, May Soon Be Reduced To Scraps

The ship’s conservancy has retained a broker to explore the potential sale of “America’s Flagship” to a responsible, U.S.-based metals recycler, if no investor comes forward by Oct. 31.

Mars's massive Mount Sharp may have formed billions of years ago as water carried sand and silt into the center of a large crater.

NASA Rover Finds Evidence That Mars Once Had Lakes

A new study suggests the Red Planet had some blue on it about 3.5 billion years ago.

Chef Paul Prudhomme posed in the kitchen of a convention center in Jerusalem in 1996. He and 12 other chefs prepared a 12-course kosher feast as part of Jerusalem 3,000 celebrations.

Louisiana Chef Paul Prudhomme, Who Popularized Cajun And Creole Food, Dies

The internationally renowned chef sparked a cooking craze and inspired other New Orleans restaurateurs. He was 75.

A child is screened for leaked radiation from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant in Japan's Fukushima prefecture on March 24, 2011.

Fukushima Study Links Children’s Cancer To Nuclear Accident

The study says rates of thyroid cancer are high for children who lived near the tsunami-crippled nuclear plant in Japan. But other scientists are skeptical of the findings.

Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Underwriting Payments