Home / News from NPR / U.S. Soccer Star Landon Donovan Fails To Make World Cup Cut
Landon Donovan practices with the U.S. Men's National Team in Stanford, Calif., last week. U.S. Soccer announced Thursday he had not made the roster for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

U.S. Soccer Star Landon Donovan Fails To Make World Cup Cut

By Scott Neuman NPR

Landon Donovan, the all-time leader in scoring and assists for the U.S. Men’s National Soccer Team, will not be part of the 2014 FIFA World Cup roster in Brazil, U.S. Soccer says.

ESPN writes: “Donovan, 32, has played for the U.S. in the past three World Cups dating back to 2002. He has been the face of the national team for most of the past decade, but spoke in recent months about how his body is no longer what it had once been.”

The Washington Post notes:

“After the Los Angeles Galaxy won the 2012 MLS Cup, Donovan stepped away from the game, citing a need for ‘time where I can just pause, and breathe and rest, let my body heal, let my mind refresh,’ he told ESPN at the time. He ended up missing the United States’ first three World Cup qualifiers in 2013, and [manager Jurgen] Klinsmann didn’t include him on the roster for the team’s qualifiers in June. He returned to the team in September and had a goal and an assist in the Americans’ 2-0 win over Mexico that clinched the World Cup bid.”

“It’s an exciting moment when you have narrowed the roster down as a coaching staff, and these 23 players that you’ve chosen can focus now purely on Brazil,” Klinsmann said in a statement announcing the roster.

“We can go into more specific things about technical approaches, and about the opponents. For the players, it’s very important to know that they are now part of it and they can relax and know they are on the list going to Brazil and taking it from there. After almost 10 days of work right now, we thought the point has come to make the decision,” he said.

Copyright 2014 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.

Check Also

Relatives and victims of Argentine and Uruguayan military dictatorships react as they hear the sentence of Argentina's court in the trial on Operation Condor, at the Argentina's embassy in Montevideo, Uruguay on May 27, 2016.

Argentina’s Last Dictator Sentenced To 20 Years In Prison For Cross-Border Conspiracy

The case focused on a plan known as Operation Condor. This marks the first time a court has ruled that it was a criminal conspiracy to track down and disappear political dissidents across borders.