Nation & World News

Washington Mudslide Death Toll Rises To 30

By Scott Neuman on April 3rd, 2014

The official death toll from last month’s landslide in Washington state has risen to 30, according to local officials, with more than a dozen still listed as missing.

The Snohomish County medical examiner’s office released the names of two more victims: 67-year-old Gloria Halstead and 13-year-old Jovon E. Mangual, both of Arlington. Of the 30 confirmed victims, three have yet to be identified.

However, nearly two weeks after the tragedy that devastated the community of Oso, the number of missing remains a matter of confusion for local authorities and media outlets. As of Thursday, that figure has been variously reported as 13, 15 and 17.

Adding to the confusion, The Associated Press reports Thursday that “one set of remains does not fit with the description on the missing persons list.”

The AP says:

“The medical examiners know it is a male. But his remains give no clue as to who he was, or who might be looking for him. They can’t even identify his age range. Without possible family members to compare, DNA tests are useless. At this point, gold teeth are all they have to go on.”

Member station KUOW’s Ruby Luna reports that, in general, identifying remains from the March 22 mudslide has been “agonizingly slow.”

“We’ve been contacting the family members by phone, gathering as much information as we can on the missing, so when we have a decedent come in we’re ahead of the game with all the information,” Dennis Peterson, deputy director of the county’s medical examiner’s office in Everett said at a news conference. “They’ve been asking families for dental records, medical records, X-rays and for information about tattoos, or other identifying marks.”

KUOW reports:

“The deceased first pass through a makeshift tent — an extension of the receiving area — set up to provide privacy and a place to wash them. Because of the nature of the disaster, they need to be cleansed of mud, fuel, debris and other contaminants.

“From there, they’re moved to the autopsy room where medical examiners fingerprint them, take dental records and body X-rays. They use these to compare against medical records to aid identification.

“Examiners have determined that all the victims so far have died of blunt force trauma. None had been trapped in air pockets, or died of drowning, as some had feared.”

Copyright 2014 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.

This entry was posted in News from NPR. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

 

More Stories in News from NPR

The mangled fuselage of a TransAsia Airways commercial plane is dragged to the river bank after it crashed in Taipei, Taiwan, on Wednesday.

Taiwan Airliner’s Black Box Shows Pilot May Have Shut Off Wrong Engine

Pilots aboard flight GE235, which crashed shortly after takeoff in February, may have switched off their only operating engine moments before the disaster that killed 43 people.


On Friday, a Russian Soyuz rocket will send an unmanned cargo ship with more than 3 tons of food, water and fuel for astronauts aboard the International Space Station.

Russian Rocket Poised For Crucial Supply Run To Space Station

After a string of launch failures, NASA says astronauts have just four months of supplies left. A Russian rocket launching early Friday could provide relief.


Greece's Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras attends an emergency Parliament session for the government's proposed referendum in Athens on June 27.

Why We Shouldn’t Be Surprised By Greece’s Impasse With Europe

Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras was elected on the promise of renegotiating the regimen of austerity imposed on Greece by its creditors. And Europe warned him it expected Greece to repay its debts.


U.S. Seeks Extradition Of 7 FIFA Officials From Switzerland

Swiss prosecutors said the requests were delivered Wednesday evening. The FIFA officials were arrested in May in Zurich in a corruption investigation of soccer’s governing body.


The Deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion on April 20, 2010, killed 11 people and resulted in the nation's largest offshore oil spill.

BP To Pay $18.7 Billion To Settle Gulf Coast Oil Spill Claims

The agreement with the U.S. government, five Gulf Coast states and more than 400 local governments comes five years after the Deepwater Horizon spill.


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Underwriting Payments