Nation & World News

Report: Norway Looking For Possible Kenyan Mall Attacker

By Scott Neuman on October 18th, 2013

The New York Times reports that the investigation into last month’s Kenya mall siege has led to Norway, where friends and relatives of a Somali-born Norwegian citizen are being questioned about his whereabouts.

The Times identifies the man as Hassan Abdi Dhuhulow, 23. Authorities, the newspaper says, are trying to determine if Dhuhulow was one of four militants caught on a security video at the Westgate shopping complex in Nairobi during an attack that began on Sept. 21 and lasted four days. At least 67 people were killed in the seige by suspected al-Shabab gunmen.

The Times says:

“His sister, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said in an interview here in Larvik [Norway], where Mr. Dhuhulow grew up, that officers from the Norwegian security police had asked her whether her brother had placed calls from Nairobi, including from the Westgate shopping mall, during the siege. She said that he had not and that the family was unaware of any role he might have played in the attack.

‘My mother and father and me, we don’t even know if he is dead or alive,’ she said. ‘We are waiting for the whole issue to become clearer.’

A spokesman for the Norwegian Police Security Service, Martin Bernsen, said investigators were also unsure whether Mr. Dhuhulow was still alive. Several explosions and a fire at the mall have made it hard to distinguish between the remains of the victims and attackers. The authorities have been unable thus far to identify any of the militants among the bodies pulled from the rubble.”

Meanwhile, the BBC reports that two charred bodies pulled from the wreckage of the Westgae mall are “highly likely” to be of two of the assailants.

The BBC quotes Ndung’u Gethenji, chairman of the Kenyan committee investigating the attack, as saying AK47 rifles were found next to the bodies and that “the army does not use AK47s.”

He said another body recovered from the rubble was likely to be a soldier.

Gethenji told the BBC that the bodies would undergo forensic tests in coming days.

It’s not clear exactly how many attackers there were or whether any of them survived and escaped after the siege.

Copyright 2013 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.

This entry was posted in News from NPR. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

 

More Stories in News from NPR

An investor looks through stock information at a trading hall in a securities firm in Haikou, capital of south China's Hainan Province, last week. Since mid-June, the main Shanghai Stock Index has lost 30 percent.

China Takes Steps To Halt Plunge In Stock Markets

The main Shanghai stock index has dropped 30 percent since mid-June, triggering margin calls that have fueled further selling.


The Soyuz-U space launch vehicle rocket carrying the Russian cargo ship Progress M-28M launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome on Friday. The Progress resupply capsule successfully docked with the International Space Station on Sunday.

Russian Supply Capsule Successfully Docks With Space Station

The Progress M-28M spacecraft delivered tons of food, water, oxygen, fuel and other supplies after previous attempts had ended in failure.


German Finance Minister Wolfang Schaeuble is depicted on a pro No poster (left) next to a graffiti (right) that read "No" (Nein) in German but also sounds like "Yes" in Greek. The photo was taken in Athens, on Sunday.

Early Results Point To Greek Thumbs Down On Bailout Referendum

By what looked to be a decisive margin, the people rejected a package of austerity measures from international creditors and handed their leaders a mandate to try to renegotiate the deal.


U.S. players run drills during a practice for the Women's World Cup soccer final under the open roof of BC Place in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada on Saturday. The U.S. is scheduled to play Japan on Sunday.

U.S. Women Head Into World Cup Final With Dominant Defense

The U.S. hasn’t given up a goal since its opener against Australia — a stunning scoreless streak of 513 minutes. Now the team meets Japan for a hotly anticipated rematch of the last World Cup final.


Matt Stonie (right) is crowned winner of the annual Fourth of July 2015 Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest in Brooklyn, New York, today. Stonie defeated eight-time champion Joey Chestnut 62-60, according to local media.

Matt Stonie Downs 62 Hot Dogs For Coney Island Title

The new champion, who came in second last year in the annual contest put on by Nathan’s Famous Hot Dogs, bested eight-time champ Joey “Jaws” Chestnut by two dogs on Saturday.


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Underwriting Payments