Nation & World News

Air Force Fires Top U.S. Missile Commander

By Scott Neuman on October 12th, 2013

The Air Force two-star general in charge of the country’s land-based intercontinental ballistic missiles has been relieved of his command for what’s being described as questionable behavior during a temporary duty assignment.

Maj. Gen. Michael Carey, who led the 20th Air Force, headquartered at Warren Air Force Base, Wyo., has been dismissed, according to a statement issued by the Air Force Global Strike Command.

Carey’s boss, Lt. Gen. James Kowalski, made the decision “due to a loss of trust and confidence in his leadership and judgement,” according to the statement. It was based on “information from an Inspector General investigation into Carey’s behavior during a temporary duty assignment. The allegations are not related to operational readiness or the inspection results of any 20th AF unit, nor do they involve sexual misconduct.”

“20th AF continues to execute its mission of around-the-clock nuclear deterrence in a safe, secure and effective manner,” Kowalski said in the statement. “It’s unfortunate that I’ve had to relieve an officer who’s had an otherwise distinctive career spanning 35 years of commendable service.”

The 20th Air Force maintains and operates the nation’s ICBM force.

Carey’s firing on Friday follows a series of black marks against the missile command.

In March, an inspection of the 91st Missile Wing at Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota, which controls one-third of the nation’s land-based ICBMs, resulted in poor reviews when it came to the unit’s mastery of launch operations. Two months later, 17 of the unit’s officers were temporarily stripped of their launch authority.

In August, the 341st Missile Wing at the Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana, which controls another third of the missile force, also failed inspection after making “tactical-level errors during one of several exercises,” the Global Strike Command said at the time.

And late last month, Navy Vice Adm. Tim Giardina, the deputy commander of the U.S. Strategic Command, was relieved of his command and reassigned after allegations of his involvement in a scheme to use counterfeit casino chips.

Copyright 2013 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.

This entry was posted in News from NPR. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

 

More Stories in News from NPR

In this handout image made available by the photographer American journalist Steven Sotloff (left) talks to Libyan rebels on the Al Dafniya front line on June 2, 2011 in Misrata, Libya. Sotloff was kidnapped in August 2013 near Aleppo, Syria.

Islamic State Claims It Has Beheaded Second American Journalist

The Islamist militant group had threatened to kill Steven Sotloff if the U.S. continued to conduct airstrikes in Iraq. Sotloff’s mother released a video last week pleading for the release of her son.


Celebrity Photo Leak Puts Spotlight On The Cloud, And Security

The FBI and Apple are looking into how private photos of Jennifer Lawrence and other celebrities were stolen, an incident that raises new questions about storing personal data online.


A woman gathers shells along the ocean near the Revel Hotel Casino in Atlantic City, N.J., early Tuesday. The casino resort has closed, a little over two years after opening with the promise of helping to renew Atlantic City.

After Just Two Years, Huge Atlantic City Casino Shuts Down

It cost $2.4 billion to build the Revel Casino Hotel. Its closure is part of a trend that will reportedly shutter a third of Atlantic City’s big gambling halls by the end of September.


NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen on Monday.

NATO To Create New ‘Spearhead’ Force For Eastern Europe

NATO leaders are expected this week to set up a rapid-response force to defend against potential Russian aggression.


Kenneth Bae, an American tour guide and missionary serving a 15-year sentence in North Korea, speaks to The Associated Press on Monday. Bae and two other detained Americans urged the U.S. to send a high-level emissary to secure their release.

3 Americans Detained In North Korea Urge U.S. To Secure Their Release

The State Department said the men should be released out of humanitarian concern and asked that Kenneth Bae, who has been held for two years, be granted amnesty.


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Day Sponsorship Payments
Underwriting Payments