Nation & World News

Russian Plan ‘Is Just A Lie,’ Syrian Rebel General Says

By Mark Memmott on September 12th, 2013

As Secretary of State John Kerry was preparing to sit down with his Russian counterpart Thursday to discuss whether the Assad regime’s chemical weapons can be handed over to international monitors, the commander of the rebel Free Syrian Army was telling NPR that “the Russian initiative is just a lie.”

Russia is “playing games. … They know that the regime in Damascus is a criminal regime,” Gen. Salim Idris told Morning Edition host Steve Inskeep.

The general’s words echoed a statement he made in a video posted online late Wednesday, The Associated Press reports. “We announce our definitive rejection of the Russian initiative to place chemical weapons under international custody,” Idris said in that video.

Kerry is in Geneva for at least two days of talks with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov. The U.S. delegation will be testing the credibility of the Russian plan — which the Assad regime says it has accepted. “Aides to Kerry expect an intense couple of days of meetings with Russian officials as they go over the nitty gritty of how this proposal might work,” reports NPR’s Michele Kelemen, who is in Geneva.

The talks in Geneva have been preceded, of course, by last month’s chemical weapons attack near Damascus and the Obama administration’s talk of striking military assets of President Bashar Assad’s regime as a way of holding the Syrian leader responsible and deterring future use of such weapons.

Russia, a longtime ally of Syria, has been trying to prevent any U.S. military action. In Thursday’s New York Times, Russian President Vladimir Putin warns that “a strike would increase violence and unleash a new wave of terrorism.”

In his conversation with NPR, Idris said many Syrians “can’t understand why the Russians and Iranians are supporting the [Assad] regime” and why “our friends are delaying” — a reference to President Obama’s decision to hold off on any missile strikes.

Many Syrians, Idris said, are also “very frustrated and they think that our friends will leave us alone.”

The rebel commander disputed a new Washington Post report that says “the CIA has begun delivering weapons to rebels in Syria, ending months of delay in lethal aid that had been promised by the Obama administration, according to U.S. officials and Syrian figures.”

His fighters have not received “any weapons from our American friends,” Idris told NPR. The assistance they have received, according to Idris, has been in the form of “humanitarian aid, food and medical materials” as well as some flak jackets, light vehicles and communications equipment.

Copyright 2013 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.

This entry was posted in News from NPR. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

 

More Stories in News from NPR

In this handout image made available by the photographer American journalist Steven Sotloff (left) talks to Libyan rebels on the Al Dafniya front line on June 2, 2011 in Misrata, Libya. Sotloff was kidnapped in August 2013 near Aleppo, Syria.

Islamic State Claims It Has Beheaded Second American Journalist

The Islamist militant group had threatened to kill Steven Sotloff if the U.S. continued to conduct airstrikes in Iraq. Sotloff’s mother released a video last week pleading for the release of her son.


Celebrity Photo Leak Puts Spotlight On The Cloud, And Security

The FBI and Apple are looking into how private photos of Jennifer Lawrence and other celebrities were stolen, an incident that raises new questions about storing personal data online.


A woman gathers shells along the ocean near the Revel Hotel Casino in Atlantic City, N.J., early Tuesday. The casino resort has closed, a little over two years after opening with the promise of helping to renew Atlantic City.

After Just Two Years, Huge Atlantic City Casino Shuts Down

It cost $2.4 billion to build the Revel Casino Hotel. Its closure is part of a trend that will reportedly shutter a third of Atlantic City’s big gambling halls by the end of September.


NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen on Monday.

NATO To Create New ‘Spearhead’ Force For Eastern Europe

NATO leaders are expected this week to set up a rapid-response force to defend against potential Russian aggression.


Kenneth Bae, an American tour guide and missionary serving a 15-year sentence in North Korea, speaks to The Associated Press on Monday. Bae and two other detained Americans urged the U.S. to send a high-level emissary to secure their release.

3 Americans Detained In North Korea Urge U.S. To Secure Their Release

The State Department said the men should be released out of humanitarian concern and asked that Kenneth Bae, who has been held for two years, be granted amnesty.


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Day Sponsorship Payments
Underwriting Payments