Nation & World News

Weiner Campaign Manager Quits After Latest ‘Sexting’ Scandal

By Scott Neuman on July 29th, 2013

The man in charge of Anthony Weiner’s campaign is stepping aside in the wake of new revelations that the candidate exchanged lewd online messages with several women. But Weiner says he’s staying in the race to become mayor of New York.

Danny Kedem, who joined Weiner’s campaign in early spring, resigned over the weekend, the candidate said on Sunday.

“We have an amazing staff, but this isn’t about the people working on the campaign. It’s about the people we’re campaigning for,” Weiner said after speaking at a Brooklyn church, according to The Associated Press.

On Thursday, Weiner and his wife held a news conference to acknowledge the latest sexting scandal in which the candidate said he’d exchanged messages with up to three women since last summer, a full year after he resigned from Congress amid a similar “sexting” scandal.

“I can’t tell you absolutely what someone else is going to consider inappropriate or not,” he told reporters.

Weiner, who before the scandal broke had been leading his main Democratic primary opponent, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, has dropped 9 percentage points behind her in a poll conducted following last week’s revelations.

Copyright 2013 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.

This entry was posted in News from NPR. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

 

More Stories in News from NPR

Bearing the message "The Greatest Gift is Knowledge," a holiday display by the Satanic Temple will accompany a Christian Nativity scene on the grounds of the Michigan State Capitol.

Satanist And Christian Holiday Displays To Go Up At Michigan Capitol

The situation has brought controversy — and energized Christians who realized that a planned Nativity scene was in danger of being canceled.


Obama Issues 12 Pardons, Commutes 8 Sentences

President Obama commuted the prison sentences of eight people who were convicted of drug-related crimes Wednesday, in a move that also saw 12 presidential pardons issued.


Alan Gross’ Release: How It Went Down

American Alan Gross had spent more than five years in a Cuban prison where he suffered ill health. Then, on Tuesday, his lawyer, Scott Gilbert, told him in a phone call that he was going home.


A sign posted Wednesday on the box office window at the Sunshine Cinema in New York. The New York premiere of The Interview, a Sony Pictures comedy about the assassination of North Korean President Kim Jong Un, has been canceled.

Sony Cancels Christmas Day Release Of ‘The Interview’ Amid Threats

The move follows the decision by major U.S. theater chains not to screen the comedy that centers on a plot to assassinate North Korea’s leader.


Alan Gross, U.S. Contractor Freed By Cuba, Says ‘It’s Good To Be Home’

Havana freed Gross, who spent five years in a Cuban prison, as a humanitarian gesture. The former USAID contractor said he hoped the U.S. and Cuba move past their “mutually belligerent” policies.


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Day Sponsorship Payments
Underwriting Payments