Nation & World News

‘Life Without Parole’ Deal Struck For Cleveland Kidnapper

By Mark Memmott on July 26th, 2013

(We updated the top of this post at 12:40 p.m. ET.)

The man who held three young women against their will in his Cleveland home for about a decade, who fathered a child by one of them and forced another to have abortions, and who is the face of a horrific crime that shocked the nation, pleaded guilty Friday to hundreds of charges.

Ariel Castro is now set to be sentenced to life in prison “plus 1,000 years.” Cuyahoga (Ohio) Common Pleas Judge Michael Russo gave no indication Friday that he would not accept that part of a plea deal struck between prosecutors and Castro’s lawyers when a sentence is formally handed down on Aug. 1.

During a lengthy hearing before Russo, Castro pleaded guilty to nearly all of the 977 counts against him. According to 90.3 WCPN ideastream’s website, he faced “an amended 937 counts, including kidnapping, rape and aggravated murder for allegedly causing one of the women to miscarry a pregnancy.” Prosecutors had asked that 40 of the charges be dismissed.

Asked repeatedly if he understood the deal that will keep him in prison for the rest of his life and avoid a trial that could have ended with the death penalty, the 53-year-old Castro answered in a soft, clear voice, “Yes I do, your honor.”

There were only a couple moments when he had something else to say:

— He objects to being labeled a sexual “predator.”

— He “would like to state that I miss my daughter very much.” It wasn’t clear whether he meant his adult daughter from a long-over marriage or the now 6-year-old girl born to one of the women he held captive.

The plea deal, under which Castro has no possibility for parole, means his victims will not have to go through the ordeal of testifying at a trial. Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, Michelle Knight and Berry’s 6-year-old daughter were rescued from Castro’s home on May 6. They have since released a video in which they thank the people of Cleveland for their support and express the hope that they can now move forward with their lives.

It took Judge Russo more than three hours to go over the plea deal agreement line by line and question Castro about it. Attorneys say the judge needed to do that in part to ensure there’s no chance Castro will someday say he did not understand what he agreed to.

Our original post:

Ariel Castro has agreed to a plea deal that means he would “never be eligible for a parole hearing” and would be kept in jail for the rest of his life, the prosecution and defense just said in a Cleveland court.

If a judge approves the deal that he be kept in jail for “life plus 1,000 years,” Castro would avoid a trial and the possibility of a death sentence.

Castro, who is pleading guilty to holding three young women — and the child he fathered with one of them — captive in his Cleveland home for the past decade, told the judge Friday morning that he is “fully aware” of the deal and consents to it. He faced more than 900 charges.

The hearing began around 10:30 a.m. ET, and the judge is spending considerable time questioning Castro about whether he understands the deal. We’ll be updating this post.

Copyright 2013 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.

This entry was posted in News from NPR. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

 

More Stories in News from NPR

Census Data Prove It: We Prefer Sunshine And Golf Carts

A new Census Bureau report suggests many Americans would rather be driving a golf cart than shoveling a drive. Last year, Florida was home to six of the 20 fastest-growing metro areas in the nation.


Indiana Gov. Mike Pence holds a news conference at the Statehouse in Indianapolis, on Thursday, where he signed into law a bill that would allow business owners with strong religious convictions to refuse to provide services to same-sex couples.

Indiana’s Governor Signs ‘Religious Freedom’ Bill

Among other things, the controversial new law would allow owners of businesses in the state to deny services to same-sex couples.


Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby waits at the entrance to Leicester cathedral where the reinterment ceremony of Richard III was held Thursday.

Richard III, Whose Remains Were Found Under A Parking Lot, Reburied

The last English king to die in battle was finally given a burial fit for a king — some 530 years after he was killed.


Rev. Msgr. Vincent Puma comforts Cindy Heck, daughter-in-law of EgyptAir Flight 990 victims Donald Heck and Bea Jeanne Heck, in a photo from 2000.

Pilots Downing Their Planes Is Unusual, But Not Unprecedented

Investigators looking into the crash of Germanwings Flight 4U 9525 this week now believe it was the result of a “deliberate act” of the co-pilot. If so, it wouldn’t be the first time.


In this Aug. 14, 2013 file photo, former Illinois Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. and his wife, Sandra, arrive at federal court in Washington to learn their fates when a federal judge sentences the one-time power couple for misusing $750,000 in campaign money.

Former Illinois Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. Released From Prison

The son of the Rev. Jesse Jackson will serve out the remainder of his sentence for misappropriating campaign funds for personal use at a halfway house in Washington, D.C.


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Underwriting Payments