Nation & World News

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Pleads Not Guilty To 30 Federal Counts In Boston

By Bill Chappell on July 11th, 2013

Appearing in the same Boston federal courtroom as many of the victims of the bombings at the Boston Marathon, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev pleaded not guilty to 30 counts Wednesday, during an arraignment hearing.

Tsarnaev has been indicted on charges that he used a weapon of mass destruction in the bombings, which killed three people and wounded more than 260. He also faces charges related to crimes allegedly committed during a flight from law enforcement with his late brother, Tamerlan, including the murder of MIT police officer Sean Collier.

The three people killed at the marathon site were Martin Richard, 8, of Dorchester, Mass., Krystle Campbell, 29, of Medford, Mass., and Lu Lingzi, 23, of China, a student at Boston University, as Mark wrote for The Two-Way this morning.

The federal trial of Tsarnaev could last up to four months, prosecutors said today; the government plans to call “up to 100 witnesses,” according to reporter Jim Armstrong of Boston’s WBZ TV, who was in the court room today. The hearing was not broadcast on the air or via the Internet.

The full indictment against Tsarnaev was not read aloud in today’s hearing. As each charge against him was read aloud, the suspect was required by Judge Marianne Bowler to answer “guilty” or “not guilty” — an attempt by Tsarnaev’s defense attorney to have him answer “not guilty” to all the charges was not allowed.

From Armstrong, we have these impressions:

“Tsarnaev keeps glancing behind him, looking to see who is in court.”

“He speaks with a slight accent, but you can understand him clearly.”

“The left side of Tsarnaev’s face appears to have some kind of injury to it, though I couldn’t get close enough to discern more.”

“The brace, or cast, on his left hand also seems to include his wrist.”

“Overall sense I’m left with was of a fidgety young man who, to my eye, almost appeared medicated. He looked drowsy.”

The next court date for Tsarnaev is set for Sept. 23. More than half the counts he faces could result in the death penalty.

Copyright 2013 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.

This entry was posted in News from NPR. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

 

More Stories in News from NPR

Furious 7 has hit the $1 billion worldwide box-office mark, two days faster any other film. Earlier this month, stars Sung Kang, left, and Ludacris attend the film's Los Angeles premiere.

‘Furious 7′ Races To New Record, Quickly Hitting $1 Billion Mark

Universal says the movie is the studio’s first to cross the billion-dollar mark during its first run in theaters, putting it above films such as Jurassic Park and Despicable Me.


A shape that could be an airplane is seen in a 3D sonar image (lower portion) of the USS Independence released by NOAA, which located the shipwreck in Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. A team located the carrier during a maritime archaeological survey.

WWII Aircraft Carrier Is Found ‘Amazingly Intact’ On Ocean Floor Near San Francisco

It fought in World War II and was used in two atomic bomb tests. Now, 64 years after it was scuttled, the USS Independence has been located by an undersea survey team led by NOAA and the U.S. Navy.


Antitrust Inquiry Reportedly Looks At How Big Theater Chains Snare Movies

News of a federal inquiry comes as arguments over preferential treatment and exclusivity have been heating up in recent years.


Police made one of several arrests at this house in Narre Warren, a suburb of Melbourne, Saturday. Police raided houses in the city's outer eastern suburbs and made several arrests over an alleged attack planned for ANZAC Day.

Australia Says It Broke Up ISIS-Inspired Plot To Attack WWI Event

In a series of early-morning raids, Australian counterterrorism police arrested five men in the Melbourne area Saturday, over their possible involvement in a plot to attack a memorial ceremony.


Afghan security forced inspect the site of a suicide attack near a New Kabul Bank in Jalalabad in eastern Afghanistan Saturday. The United Nations says at least 35 people died.

Suicide Bombing Kills At Least 35 In Jalalabad; ISIS Reportedly Claims Responsibility

Both the United Nations and the Taliban have condemned the attack, which targeted civilians who were in a long line at a bank.


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Underwriting Payments