Nation & World News

As Mandela Lies In Hospital, Family Fights Over Kin’s Graves

By Mark Memmott on July 4th, 2013

Former South African President Nelson Mandela remains in stable but critical condition at a Pretoria hospital, where he’s been since June 8 for treatment of a serious lung infection.

The anti-apartheid hero, who survived 27 years in jail and decades of oppression, is 15 days shy of his 95th birthday.

Meanwhile, members of his family are involved in what seems to be a nasty legal battle over where some of his kin have been buried. As The Associated Press writes:

“A family feud over the burial site of three of Nelson Mandela’s children intensified Tuesday when criminal charges were filed against one of his grandsons.”

According to the AP, Nelson Mandela “has long said that he wants to be buried in Qunu, where his children were buried in the family plot.”

A rival faction of Nelson Mandela relatives, led by his oldest surviving daughter, Makaziwe, went to court last week, to compel the remains of her late siblings to be returned to Mandela’s ancestral home.

They accuse his eldest grandson, Chief Mandla Mandela, the nominal head of the Mandela family, of exhuming the bodies two years ago and removing them to his village, Mvezo, 15 miles away, Quist-Arcton says. That’s where he’s building a heritage center dedicated to Nelson Mandela. The move infuriated his relatives, but on Wednesday a South African court ruled against Mandla and allowed the exhumation and reburial to take place.

South Africa’s News 24 says the remains are those of “Mandela’s eldest son, Mandla Mandela’s father, Makgatho Mandela, who died in 2005; Mandela’s first daughter, Makaziwe Mandela, who died as an infant in 1948; and Mandela’s second son, Madiba Thembekile, who died in a car accident in 1969.”

Television images and commentary show the court’s representative using a pickaxe to force open the locks on the gates of Mandla Mandela’s compound, opening the way for a convoy of police vehicles and Mandela family members. Police say the unmarked graves have been located and that exhumation of the remains has begun. Cultural commentator, Somadoda Fikeni says this unseemly family tug-of-war runs counter to custom and tradition.

“It is believed that an elderly member of the family, or any member of the family, wouldn’t have a smooth transition in their life to the afterlife if there was still some dispute or discord in the family,” Fikeni says.

Many South Africans were appalled by the very public family feuding, and the leader of Mandela’s governing ANC party, Gwede Mantashe, said now should be a time of unity for the family.

The BBC notes that Mandla Mandela was nominated by his grandfather to be “chief Zwelivelile of the Thembu people.” Mandla Mandela is also a member of African National Congress Parliamentary Caucus.

The Daily Dispatch newspaper quoted Ndaba Mandela as describing his half-brother, Mandla, as a “power hungry, self-obsessed man who is only concerned about himself.”

The Royal House of Nelson Mandela’s Abathembu tribe and clan elders have offered to step in to try to resolve the family quarrel.

Copyright 2013 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.

This entry was posted in News from NPR. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

 

More Stories in News from NPR

In this handout image made available by the photographer American journalist Steven Sotloff (left) talks to Libyan rebels on the Al Dafniya front line on June 2, 2011 in Misrata, Libya. Sotloff was kidnapped in August 2013 near Aleppo, Syria.

Islamic State Claims It Has Beheaded Second American Journalist

The Islamist militant group had threatened to kill Steven Sotloff if the U.S. continued to conduct airstrikes in Iraq. Sotloff’s mother released a video last week pleading for the release of her son.


Celebrity Photo Leak Puts Spotlight On The Cloud, And Security

Publication of private photos of Jennifer Lawrence and other celebrities raises new questions about storing personal data online. Apple says its systems weren’t breached.


A woman gathers shells along the ocean near the Revel Hotel Casino in Atlantic City, N.J., early Tuesday. The casino resort has closed, a little over two years after opening with the promise of helping to renew Atlantic City.

After Just Two Years, Huge Atlantic City Casino Shuts Down

It cost $2.4 billion to build the Revel Casino Hotel. Its closure is part of a trend that will reportedly shutter a third of Atlantic City’s big gambling halls by the end of September.


NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen on Monday.

NATO To Create New ‘Spearhead’ Force For Eastern Europe

NATO leaders are expected this week to set up a rapid-response force to defend against potential Russian aggression.


Kenneth Bae, an American tour guide and missionary serving a 15-year sentence in North Korea, speaks to The Associated Press on Monday. Bae and two other detained Americans urged the U.S. to send a high-level emissary to secure their release.

3 Americans Detained In North Korea Urge U.S. To Secure Their Release

The State Department said the men should be released out of humanitarian concern and asked that Kenneth Bae, who has been held for two years, be granted amnesty.


Thank you for your support

WUFT depends on the support of our community — people like you — to help us continue to provide quality programming to North Central Florida.
Become a Sustainer
I want to support FM 89.1/NPR
I want to support Florida's 5/PBS
Donate a Vehicle
Day Sponsorship Payments
Underwriting Payments